MAB Model D Ejection Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by northstar, Apr 1, 2012.

1. northstar

northstar New Member

I recently acquired a French MAB Model D .32 ACP (Nazi marked). When fired, the extracor pulls the spent casing out. However, the casing does not flick out of the ejector port. I've spent some time on the net looking into this and it seems like this is the result of the firing pin being too short. Is this correct? Is it the firing pin that helps eject the spent casing or is my gun missing some sort of ejector? Can anybody help?
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

There is no ejector on the MAB Modele D. Either you have a problem with the firing pin or the extractor is not holding the case tightly enough against the breechface.
  3. northstar

northstar New Member

I believe that the firing pin that came with the gun is worn. I have compared the portion of the firing pin that protrudes through the breech face with pictures of other MAB Model D firing pins on the net, and mine seems to be about half the length. I ordered a new firing pin from Numrich and they sent me a pin for a Browning 1910. The hollow body of the Browning pin is shorter than the MAB pin. I think it should still work. What's your thoughts?
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Northstar - this is sort of out of the blue, but is it possible that your pistol is chambered for the 7.65 (.32) French Long? This is just a VERY LONG SHOT, but seeing as how the French produced the 1935A MAS pistol line, I am wondering if it is possible that the ".32 Automatic" may actually be the slightly longer standard French military round.

The thing that leads me to this question is that many people have fired their M1935A pistols with .32ACP ammo. It often works, but it is a different round. If it were mine, I'd measure the chamber. Maybe it is .32ACP. Maybe not. To me that would answer the 'short firing pin' problem.

I have done a search on the MAB Model D, and it is specified as .32 ACP. It's kind of screwy to me that the French would have such different calibers issued at the same time. It would have been a nightmare for logistics. Of course you never know........
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The MAB was never made in .32 French Long.
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Northstar, the guns are of similar design. As long as the diameter of the firing pin is correct, it protrudes adequately from the breech face, and there is adequate engagement for the sear you should be OK. You may have to modify the length of the spring, maybe not.
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Bill. I'm still scratching my head as to the reasoning of the French in having two similiar but entirely diffent cartridges in their Supply System..... Looks like you are on track with the firing pin, Northstar.
  8. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Interesting thread. I have also had this problem. What is the proper length for the MAB Model D firing pin?
  9. northstar

northstar New Member

I think the overall length of the firing pin is 1.21 inches.
  10. northstar

northstar New Member

Does anyone have a picture of the mechanism spring for the MAB Model D? I don't think my spring is bent properly (that or I'm not putting it back together correctly). Does it look the same as the spring on the youtube video "MAB Model C/D Complete Disassembly"? After the first shot, the trigger bar drops and doesn't come back up! Any help?
  11. Dullahan

Dullahan New Member

I am a new member to this site and being British and posting from Britain I hope I can make a useful contribution to members.
    In the early 1950s I finished my army service and worked at the Manufacture Des Armes de Bayonne for a while making barrels on a lathe and a short time on assembley. There is a slight difference between the 7.65mm cartridege and the .32ACP in the "Shoulder" of the cartridge case. With wear the .32ACP (which was designed for the Colt) does not get a tight grip and sometimes the empty case only comes halfway out of the barrel.
    There is an Exploded Diagram on the Wikipedia website of the MAB Model D although it does not give any dimensions.
  12. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Thanks for posting! We generally don't get to talk to the people who made the guns we talk about. When you say the Shoulder of the 32ACP cartridge case, do you mean a point near the mouth, where the bullet is seated, or near the base, on the rim or just ahead of the extraction groove?
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The 7.65 Browning, which we in the US call the .32 ACP, was/is very common in Europe for both police and civilians. It is a semi-rimmed round because c. 1899 John Browning had not yet figured out that a cartridge could be supported (headspaced) on the case mouth. It is not powerful enough to reliably function in the recoil operated French Mle. 1935 pistols, plus its rim is large enough to cause feeding problems.

The 7.65mm Long, which the French called the Modele 1925, was a rimless military cartridge. In general, armies did not consider the 7.65 Browning powerful enough for general military use, though most used pistols of that caliber for officers' pistols and police-type use. Some people consider the 7.65mm Long inadequate for military use, but it is considerably more powerful than the 7.65mm Browning.

The 7.65mm Long was inspired by the ammunition for the American Pedersen Device, a semi-automatic bolt that replaced the normal bolt of the Model 1903 Springfield rifle. The cartridge cases are the same, but French ammunition is not interchangeable with that for the Pedersen device as the French round uses a longer bullet and the ammunition won't fit in the Pedersen device magazine.

The MAB D is a blowback pistol; it was made for the 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP), and not for the 7.65mm Long.

Jim
  14. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I understood Dullahan to say that he was employed in making barrels for the MAB Model D, and that there was a difference between 7.65mm Browning and 32 ACP. My question was directed to pin down that difference. I did not think MAB ever made a pistol for 7.65mm Long. I thought they were all made by MAC, MAT, and maybe MAS.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I hope Dullahan will respond, but I understood he was talking about the difference between the 7.65mm French Long, which he calls the 7.65, and the 7.65mm Browning, or .32 ACP. As he says, those are two different cartridges. One of the problems of using the .32 ACP in a French Mle. 1935 (either the A or S) is that the extractor won't always engage the larger rim of the .32 ACP.

Also, the 7.65 Long headspaces on the case mouth, while the .32 ACP normally headspaces on the rim. The 7.65 Long chamber will allow the .32 ACP rim to enter but the shorter round will go too far in. The firing pin will reach the primer, but the cartridge might not ride up under the extractor or the extractor might not fully engage the rim, creating either a feed problem or extraction failure.

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012