The Firearms Forum banner

MAB model D (S.N. 24XXX) feeding problem

6K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  ShawnDow 
#1 ·
:confused:I need to scratch the noodles of the old MAB model D Guroos!
I have a feeding issue with my .32 ACP or 7.65 .. what ever you want to call it.. model D.
When I first acquired this stout piece it had a magazine for a .380 in it, that did me no good.. the .32 ACP rounds wouldn't stay put.. so I had a gunsmith modify a browning magazine (notched it for the side release) so it would stay put... it worked too well... emptied the mag in one pull of the trigger... So I ordered a New magazine from Triple K... then I faced the problem of not being able to strip the first round or two off a full magazine, so.. I ordered a New recoil spring,
Problem is now when a round fires and the slide cycles... the next round tips to a 45* angle and the slide will slam shut on the side of the case :(... NOT GOOD.
What should i be adjusting, replacing, or tweaking?
Thanks for your help,
Shawn Dow

#4 ·
ShawnDow, original MAB D magazines are readily available. They can even be found on Ebay. My own experience with Triple K was not good, so I stopped using them a long time ago. I have heard they are better now, but an original magazine would be my first choice for solving a feeding problem. Just my $.02, though.

#5 ·
I've seen sites listing origonal and used... does it matter if i have a first series Model D, and the used and or origonal magazine is from a series 2 model D or are they interchangable?
Thanks for the help.
Shawn Dow

#6 · (Edited)
Dang, it's a lot easier being an expert when nobody gets specific. I don't really know. This article about the MAB C & D

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/MABC/mabc.html

doesn't mention any major design changes that would require a different magazine, but it is not all that detailed. Offhand, I would not think there was any difference, but it's not my money at risk. Does Triple K list two different magazines for the MAB D?

#7 ·
The magazine probably caused the full auto this way: The wrong magazine allowed the top round to protrude too far upward. When the slide went closed, the tail of the striker caught on the top round in the magazine just enough to hold the striker back until the slide slammed into battery, when the impact caused the firing pin to jump off the case rim and go forward firing the gun. A good magazine to get rid of.

Jim

#8 ·
who is being specific? Im just trying to get this thing to cycle properly... and worry not the "full auto" magazine ( which got me kicked out of a gun range back in the day ) no longer exists.... funny part about that, when I told the gun smith.. his reply was.." and your complaining" No Triple K made no mention about the different " type 1 to 2 " series model D. so ill start ordering some origonal equipment magazines and see if this clears the cycling issue.
Boy, I can't wait until I start to ask other questions about this piece... Oh, which bullet type is best for this? HP's or FMJ's?

#9 ·
ShawnDow, I understand your frustration. Many good people here are trying to help. I will be the first to admit that I am no expert on the MAB. There are many reasons why a firearm may fail to feed or go full auto. My warning to you about full auto is based on a shooter who went to jail over an AR 15 malfunction. You can google it if you are not already aware. No one here wants to see you go to jail. Im sure there is a solution to the problem. Sometimes it takes time.

#10 ·
I thank you for your concern, I think ill try step one.. an origonial magazine from MAB or whoever supplies them. Ill probably get a few just incase.
With a S.N. as low as mine...24XXX any venture as to what year? I see the Model D started in 1933 ish with a S.N. of 10XXX.

#12 ·
the Browning magazine, which is a bottom release type, was notched on its side by my gunsmith, so it would catch the side release of the MAB.. only thing I could figure is; the magazine is one of the safety features.. it pushes on a cam at the top and rear of the mag well.... if its not fully depressed by the magazine, the firing sear won't engage all the way... and the firing pin skipped off of it...time and time again.
thats i i could figure.. with an empty magazine and the L/H grip removed from the MAB you can see all the cool working of the internals. I noticed the "safety cam wasn't being pushed far enough... os I ditched the modified magazine.
Ill see if i can get a pic of the inner workings posted. if anything it just looks cool.

#15 ·
The safety appears to have been broken and brazed back together and there appears to be brazing on the toe of the tumbler. I would be very reluctant to trust that pistol very far and would either replace those parts (if possible) or retire the gun to wall hanger status.

Jim

#16 ·
Thanks for putting up such good pictures, ShawnDow. Since the safety catch on the MAB D is different from the one on the Browning 1910, I have been curious for a long time about just what it did, and whether it locked the sear in any positive way. Thanks to your photos...I still have no idea, but I really should be able to figure it out!

#17 ·
The "thumb" safety has been brazed... and one is on order, the toe of the "tumbler", I "shimed", the trigger rod wouldn't push it far enough rearward... I do have a new one of those, but it must have come off a different production run; series 1 vs. series 2 or some thing like that, for the hole that mounts it to the frame pin is in a different location .. by about .040". I think ill have a gun smith or welder build up the toe on the original one, then i'll file it to fit.

My plan is to restore it to a safe and serviceable unit. I just find the inner workings so magnificent, the new polly guns have nothing on this. There is no "art" to the inner workings any more.

#18 ·
Lanrezac, the only thing that "locks" the sear cam is the palm safety, in the pics you can see where there is a lug that prevents the sear from droping while the palm safety is in its relaxed position.
If you would like other pics of the inner workings let me know, i can post or email them to you.

#20 ·
Found the culprit, The Triple K is on the right:eek:.. a MAB original is on the left:)... the bullets were bumping off of the high lip on the Triple K mag.... this will be fixed by using my dremil to lower the lip a bit.:cool:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.