MACV REMFs

Discussion in 'VMBB Find Your Nam Friends' started by Guest, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

nighthawk
    (5/29/01 3:56:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All MACV REMFs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Found this site after searching for "REMF's" of which I was(or maybe still am). Have been trying to find other REMF's from HQ, MACV circa 1968-1969. I was assigned to the Admin Machine Branch (data processing) but would enjoy hearing from anyone that was there. Thanks. And: Great site!!!
    Stanley Hutchison
    MGS, US Army (Ret)

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/29/01 4:54:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: MACV REMFs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you go by Stan, Stanley, or Hutch, or MSG? I have a good friend with the same last name who goes by Hutch...

nighthawk
    (5/29/01 7:06:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: MACV REMFs
    I usually go by Stan, but seeing as how there is already one of them here, call me what you wish. The MSG is a long time back, though. Hutch or SH will do fine.

Misterstan
    (5/30/01 8:09:12 am)
    SH,

There's always room for another Stan on this board.

Maybe they won't pick on me so much.(LOL)

Welcome aboard, Nighthawk.

Misterstan

hope6970
    (5/30/01 10:18:07 am)
    Only in Misterstans dreams Nighthawk, he is one of those "Navy Boys". lol

Hope

oneknight
    (5/30/01 8:15:00 pm)
    Dear Misterstan,

No way are you gonna escape being picked on. We've
    just gotten started.

Boom Boom
  2. MikeOLeary

MikeOLeary New Member

I worked HQ MACV DMA (Data Management Agency) - that where you worked?
  3. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Greetings, Mike...that's a fine old Irish name you have there...Golly, I looked and saw that term, REMF, and then went and looked at dates when it was posted last...land sakes, almost 10 years since those old members posted. Perhaps you'll get a response to your seeking someone who had served with your organization back then...Laughingly, I recall back when Seabee units I was in country with would be referred to as REMFs....then that title was damned offensive when rocket damage and destruction was still being cleaned up around camp or rolling construction stock and equipment was being hauled in, damaged or destroyed by Sapper action, up close and personal... thank you for you long and dedicated service Mike...stick around and tell us about your experiences...Chief
  4. MikeOLeary

MikeOLeary New Member

Thank you, Rooter. Actually, the full name is Michael Patrick O'Leary. My brother Joe was in country with me for 2 tours as a crew chief. He later became an officer so he could pilot his beloved choppers. He retired as an Army Major. My other brother Rick is still in - in the Air Reserves as a Lt. Colonel. My youngest brother retired from the navy as a Senior Chief - he spent most of his time as Chief of the Boat on nuclear subs.

I agree with you; the term REMF sure didn't mean free from danger. I was blown out of a Huey many hundred feet in the air (I blacked out and suffered only broken feet and ankles). On a subsequent tour, I was blown through a bunker opening. Instead of being bent over forward, I was bent over backwards and my back snapped and my left arm was torn loose of the socket.

All this and I was mainly a Siagon warrier! I live in Landenberg PA and just closed my business down last year. Good to hear from you. Name/Address?
  5. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Well Mike, you sure got the hurts plastered on you...Fortunately, for me, except for some skid marks and road rash, getting to the mortar holes in camp, I never got touched...heard and seen a lot ..those memories come galloping back often in the nighttime to the point I gave up my long time bed partner!! She was tired of my less than romantic antics!!! My maternal grandfather was Irish and so proud of his heritage...He could run faster, drink more whiskey, love more women, chop more wood that anyone, even another 'MICK', he called them! Here you go Mike: rooterjohnw@msn.com .Chief