Made a bullet trap today...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Mr_Shamrock, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Not sure about the .308, but was very surprised at the stopping power of sand with .22's and pellets. I can take my pellet gun and shoot clean through a large dog food can. Fill it with sand and it won't even put a dent in the back of the can.
  2. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Oh I forgot to mention, before I made this I asked a welding shop to make one up for me the same size out of 1/4" and I was quoted $400. I have around $60 in this one.
  3. scotgiant

scotgiant New Member

Thanks for the ideas here Mr! I've been playing around with making at trap but I like the frame you built.
    Happy shooting!
  4. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

One thing I have to address is the sand will tunnel where it is hit repeatedly and then I start to hear the bullets hitting the metal plate. I think it is because the sand was wet. With it living outside it might be tough to keep it dry. I may need to throw a cover over it.
  5. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Update - due to the rounds making tunnels through the sand and then being able to hit the metal plate I did start to notice some very slight dimples in it. I think it would have taken MANY to penetrate it (if ever), but I went ahead and found another welding shop that had a piece of 1/4" scrap that was the perfect size to get 2 - 24"X24" sections out of. I went ahead and had them cut it in half and bought both pieces so I can make my dad the same exact trap. I haven't shot into it yet but am 100% sure I won't have an issue. HUGE difference holding a piece of 16 gauge vs. 1/4" in your hand. That 1/4" is heavy! Here are some not so exciting pictures, but you can see the plate stuck in there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Carver-I used to keep my old phone books just for that reason. I stacked probably 8-10 together,duct taped them in place so they would not shift and fired my 7.62X39mm SKS into it several times before there were any issues. It was not long term use but served my purpose well.
  7. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

I tried some old catalogs and after about 100 rounds I had confetti all over the back yard. That was just .22's. It was cool to see how far they penetrated though and how much lead stayed in between the pages.
  8. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Just put 75 rounds of some Aguila Sniper SubSonic in about an inch of each other and the new plate doesn't have the slightest bit of indention. These were some big ole 60 grain rounds moving around 700 FPS. I think I found a winner!
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would just adjust my shot placement after 5 shots on each target with the .22's....7.62 was just 3 rounds.