Made in China?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by carver, Jan 1, 2010.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yesterday my brother took his Remington .270 to the gun smith for some work. The smith told him not to shoot ammo from Wall Mart, and Accadamy Sports, in his guns because this ammo in made in China, and is inferior. First I've heard of this. I have some Remington, Federal, and Winchester ammo bought at Wall Mart, and Accadamy, all this ammo is marded "Made in the U.S.A. Does anyone know if this cheaper ammo is inferior to the more expensive ammo bought at the gun stores? Maybe loaded down, and with seconds on the materials, so that it can be sold for 30% less?
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

It's the exact same as in the gun shops. It is just bought in higher quantities, which allows Wally World to offer a lower retail price. I'd find another gunsmith.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Even if made overseas, the ammo is held to manufacturing tolerances set by the ammo manufacturer, and closely regulated by them.... If they let their tolerances drift to an unsafe or inaccurate level then it affects their brand image as a company. This gun smith sounds ignorant. :rolleyes:

I don't like buying anything from WalMart because their business practices often injure the ability of manufacturers to sell and compete, particularly with the Volume Producer program they offer as a carrot to manufacturers. With that said, I did buy 2 boxes of Remington .270 Win. 150 Gr. CoreLokt ammo at WalMart last night because the wife had 2 gift cards from her work that she wanted to get rid of... :D

EDIT: Let me add a caveat to what I said. WalMart does deal in lesser quality items on a regular basis from major name manufacturers. Some companies do indeed produce a line of products marked with their brand name but with a model designation specifically unique to WalMart or other low-grade discount stores. Those items are marked with a different brand label on purpose. Automotive part manufacturers do this. Toiletries and household goods manufacturers do this as well with lighter weight toilet paper as one example. Clothing and linen manufacturers do this with less thread count in their products. Levis white label comes to mind. Heck, gun manufacturers do this by providing less ornate stocks to WalMart at a reduced cost. My Marlin Camp 9 is proof of this practice. It was purchased at WalMart for a lesser price but has no stock checkering. Would an ammo manufacturer provide a round with lesser safety or lesser inherent accuracy to WalMart and then market the exact same model with higher quality to another retail outlet? No, I don't think so... It would be designated as a WalMart-only round if the accuracy suffered. The safety would not suffer. Major manufacturers are very scared of litigation, and safety is not something worth risking their brand image on... That's simply common sense from a business standpoint.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Last time I bought ammo at Mao-Mart, it was Federal brand and made in the US. Even the Blazer that they used to sell was US-made.

I agree with ponycar, I try to avoid Mao-Mart if I can, but I pop in fairly regularly to check for ammo and sometimes to check for GI Joe (they have some store exclusive GI Joe battlesets that would fit nicely in my Cobra army:p).
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'd go there if they were giving it away with no qty restrictions.:eek:

We got some chinese staples at work that have a 25% failure rate using two sheets of paper.:eek: Why would I want to staple one sheet?:rolleyes:

Most of my .22 ammo comes from Meheeco. Several different brands.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I shop regularly at Wal Mart and other big box stores. It depends on what I am buying as to where I shop. Wal Mart is RV'er friendly and it is a smart business practice as it builds loyality.

As to the ammo I think your gunsmith dislikes the competition.
  7. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Has any ammunition been imported from China in the last 10 years?
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Thanks for the replies folks! I tend to agree with you Terry P. I do know that the Yugoslav ammo does not shoot well in my .308, while the Remington does a much better job. There is a difference. ponycar17 I value your input, and again, thank you all. Wishing you all a very happy, and prosperous New Year!
  9. topper

topper New Member

I'm trying my best to wean off wal-mart. But most of the ammo and firearms at Academy and Gander mountain higher in cost. Really makes a person think before buying. I did find a local pawn shop that has a very good selection of firearms and ammo and most seem fairly reasonable. I'll be going there first.
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

The ammo sold at Wal-Mart comes off the same production lines as the ammo that is sold at that gunsmiths(?) shop. Ain't no difference.
    Last I checked, the only ammo companies in China were owned by The People's Liberation Army.

I agree with Pony. I believe that some companies ship their seconds to Wally-world.
    Ammo companies aren't among them.

Tell your brother to start handloading, then he won't have to worry about it. I don't. ;) :D

Art
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

There is one and only one reason the Chicoms aren't selling ammo here and that's because they are selling it elsewhere. They are ten years into a massive military modernization and expansion and the end is not in sight. They are making inroads into South America and Africa with both industrial and military sales. That's where their ammo is going. China has had some notorious cases of inferior and adulterated food products and they have responded by hanging some of the offenders and imprisoning many others. Bad for business you see. A rather effective strategy I should think.

I've heard the white box stuff bashed before, it's always either ignorant or self-serving.
  12. AmmoGuy

AmmoGuy New Member

The importation of ammunition (and centerfire firearms and propellants, BTW) from China was banned by Bill Clinton using Executive Order authority in 1994. That prohibition is still in force.

I work for one of the major ammunition manufacturers mentioned in the original posting and I can tell you that when we make our products we have no idea who the ultimate reseller will be. The product simply moves to a warehouse and ships to whichever of our customers has ordered it. Therefore, there exists only one set of quality standards and sourcing for all the products, regardless of where they are purchased.

I have heard of such claims made by smaller, possibly mis-informed, dealers before and there is no truth to them, at least for our products.

Under Federal law, the country of orgin MUST be marked on the retail package unless the country is the USA. If it is made in the US, the marking is optional.
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

That sounds familiar,but can anyone explain why PMC closed the plant down here in NV and outsourced to Korea? Did you guys notice the packaging change a few years back from the red and white boxes to the black and Bronze? What a shame!!!
  14. AmmoGuy

AmmoGuy New Member

Define "outsourcing to Korea". Don't lose sight of the fact that PMC is a KOREAN company from the beginning. The Nevada operation was an extension of that company. In Souht Korea, PMC is a major manfuacturer of military ammunition, including munitions that go beyond the realm of small arms (.50 cal and smaller). If I am not mistaken, they have been supplying some of the needs of US troops to augment the output of the only US military arsenal - Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP).

So, when they were unable to achieve sufficient market penetration with the NV operation, they simply fell back to supplying the market they had established from the Korean plants (they have more than one).
  15. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Good info for sure, the article I read stated that PMC manufactured the ammo here with korean components, but joined Poonsang corporation the component supplier and opened plants in Angang and Dongrae Korea.

Outsourcing - US plants shutting down, Americans out of a jobs, and turning over manufacturing to plants in foreign countries such as Korea.