Made smoke last evening

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/3/01 9:57:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Made smoke last evening
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    About 5:20 p.m. yesterday a beautiful 5x5 whitetail offered me a broadside shot of about 50 yards. He only went about 20 yards after the shot. 385 grains of lead through the lungs will do that!

Was using my .50 caliber St. Louis Hawkens with my favorite deer load of 80 grains blackpowder pushing a 385 grain Hornady Great Plains Conical.

For those of you who remember, I took him in the same spot that I had set up my neighbor's kid on his first deer hunt in the Youth season earlier this year. Good spot!

The funny thing about the whole deal is that the buck had me "busted". When I first saw him he had paused at the edge of the woods looking out into the alfalfa field I was waiting in. I had my back up against a lone tree growing in the field. As soon as I saw him, I started to bring the gun up to get ready and the butt of the gun ticked against the tree trunk. The buck immediately stood stock still, staring right at me, trying to figure out where the noise had come from. He melted back into the brush and I thought, well, that one's gone. Then I realised that he was starting to circle downwind of me. He made one fatal mistake, though.

He stopped for just a moment, broadside, in a spot where I had a clean shot. I still had the gun up to my shoulder, following him through the woods (with the sights). He stopped for just a second, but that was a second too long! Double lunged him right behind the front legs. I was able to see him go down and heard him thrashing for just a moment and the woods were still again.

Reloaded (force of habit, ya just never know) and walked into the woods to get a better look at him. He was even nicer than I had thought when I pulled the trigger. If yer gettin' the impression that I'm a happy camper right about now, well, you ARE correct!

tuckerd1
    (12/3/01 10:11:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Made smoke last evening
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congrats, 280freak! Sounds like a very successful hunt!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

twins
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/3/01 10:54:52 am)
    congratulations

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/3/01 11:37:40 am)
    Way to go !!!!
    Confused? Don't be so sure.

warpig883
    (12/3/01 12:14:01 pm)
    That truly is a good spot. I remember the post about the nieghbors kid getting one there. I know the feeling you have and there is nothing else like it in the world. Congratulations.
    Know what?

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/3/01 1:40:59 pm)
    Shot alot of BP back in the late 70`s early 80`s, but never hunted with it. Bet it`s a thrill, though....CONGRATS!!!!
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/3/01 4:28:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Made smoke last evening
    280Freak...
    You really excited me, just reading your post.
    I love to deer hunt, but this year I couldn't make it. Maybe
    next year.
    I've never hunted black powder rifles...maybe I should
    try. How much did he weigh?
    Charlie D
    Didjya say tha shot wuz 300 yds?

AGunguy
    (12/3/01 4:36:39 pm)
    A really fine story on your successful hunt, I am truly envious and wish I could hunt again.

Give us some pictures of this animal downed if you can.

Gunguy

ruffitt
    (12/3/01 8:44:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Made smoke last evening
    Those "smokepoles" are just as efficient in capabl;e hands as any rifle made.
    RuffItt

shooter22
    (12/3/01 8:57:54 pm)
    Good job 280freak! good deeds get repaid infull.

shooter22

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/3/01 11:50:07 pm)
    Did you say 5x5 ?!?!!!!!!!! I thought that was what you said!!

YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/4/01 10:57:01 am)
    Thanks fer all the nice words, fellas!

Charlie D., he was a large bodied buck, don't know how much he weighed, but earlier in the season, he would have weighed a lot more than he did when I killed him. He had absolutely ZERO fat content on him. I've never skinned out a deer before that didn't have a layer of fat, especially on the haunches. Figger he must have been a dominant breeding buck in the area, funny I never had seen him around before.

Oh yeah, did my post say only 50 yards? Thinking back, maybe it was 500 yards, yeah, now I'm sure of it, it HAD to be at LEAST 500 yards.

Wish I had the capability and knowledge to post pictures, truly a nice looking animal. The rack is a basic 5x5 frame, but it has what I like to call "character". Good mass, gnarly bases and brow tines and it has a few extra countable points that some folks count as extra points on a rack. A buddy looked at it and immediately said "5x5, Hell! That's more than that!"

I just figured that in describing the deer, I was more than happy with having had the chance to take him, irregardless of exact number of points or how he would "score".

kdub01
    (12/5/01 10:48:04 pm)
    Real happy for ya, there, .280!

Sounds like you did just what you set out to do and the plan came together.

I'm giving thought to selling my T/C Black Diamond and getting one o' them newfangled Savage smokeless powder muzzle stuffers. Only reason I don't shoot the T/C is I get tired of the hot water cleanup and messing with the lubing and barrel curing.

warpig883
    (12/6/01 1:12:55 am)
    .280 e-mail me the pic and I will post it for you. Ya need a scanner or digital camera to e-mail it though.
    Know what?

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/01 9:15:09 am)
    Kdub -

Yeah, that's the thing about muzzleloaders, they are a bit of a pain as far as maintenance goes. I gotta tell ya though, there's just nuthin' like the feeling ya get when you pull the trigger on a deer and you get that cloud of smoke and that wonderful smell! Man, I LOVE this time of year!

Let me know how you like the Savage, once you've had a chance to shoot her a bit.

Warpig -

I surely appreciate the offer. I don't have either a scanner or digital camera. The only pictures taken so far of the buck are a couple that a friend took with his cheap disposable camera he had in his truck. And those pictures are just of the head as I was already in the process of skinning out the deer when he showed up to look at it. I don't have a decent camera, just not into photography, and never think to try to get decent pics of deer or other game I've taken til it's too late. Still trying to come up with a way, though, really would like for you guys to be able to see this rack.

warpig883
    (12/6/01 10:55:09 am)
    stick em in the mail when you get them developed and I will get them posted.

Know what?

Edited by: warpig883 at: 12/7/01 12:01:14 am

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/01 10:40:52 pm)
    Warpig -

Ya got mail.

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/7/01 4:48:08 pm)
    RUFFIT said it best.

Smokepoles is all I use for deer.

Something special about getting a deer with one.

Nice deer 280,nice deer.