Mag primers?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Chazz, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Chazz

Chazz New Member

I found some CCI magnum primers yesterday - not what I was looking for, but they were there and I was there and....
    So - here's the question: the load I was thinking of for my Glock 20 is 6.4gr WSW with lead 180gr bullets, but with standard primers. What modification to the charge should I make to accomodate the mag. primers?

I'm new, don't know nuthin' 'cept what I've read. Can someone help me out?
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

You are not supposed to shoot lead bullets through a Glock. Its in the owners manual. I dont know the exact reason why not to, just heard it had something to do with the rifling inside the barrel.

You can shoot lead bullets if you have an aftermarket barrel installed such as ones from wolf.

Judging from your post I do now know if you have a reloading manual.
    I suggest you buy Modern Reloading 2nd Edition by Richard Lee. In the book there is a whole chapter on how to reduce charges for cast bullets. Plus there is a wealth of information you should know before you attempt to reload. There are plenty of people on the forum who will help you in your quest to reload. Anything that you dont know come here and ask. No one will think your stupid and act like a jerk towards you for asking a question.

And you can use the mag Primers, just have to start at the lowest level in the load data. Just know that the max load will be lower than whats stated becasue you are using a hotter primer.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

The Glock's polygonal bore accumulates lead (fouls) which leads to pressure spikes and catastrophic failure.

Short answer. :)
  4. Chazz

Chazz New Member

I know about the warnings re: lead. Actually, Glock says don't re-load at all. We all understand that, right?

Nevertheless, I know that many do shoot lead through their Glocks - just keep the barrel clean, they say. I'm not trying to buck the system, I'm just following the advice of people who have been doing this a while.

Hope I get more input. I really do appreciate the safety warnings.
  5. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

All gun manufactures say not to use reloaded ammo, will void their warranty. I dont know what powder WSW is, I suspect its Winchester but Im not 100% sure. Best advice I can give you is to reduce the charge by 10 to 12%. Start there. Look for signs of excessive pressure. Check your barrel to see how bad it was fouled. If all looks good, slowly work your way up, around .5grn increments til you get aload that functions the gun and gives you good accuracy.

If you dont know what signs of excessive pressure are you really need to get a reloading manual. Thats Rule #1 of reloading and should not be broken. You do anything wrong it only takes one time to hurt yourself or someone by you. Something you can never take back.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I'd use start a starting charge and work up....sorry for the generic answer.

I guess I have to throw the Glock KB warning in here too, don't shoot lead in your glock. Just because others are doing it????? Come on brother! Normal cleaning does not "unlead" your glock barrel, its that simple. Lead will slowly build up and fatigue your barrel and you'll be overpressuring you chamber even with minimum loads.

If you're a reloader you have some understanding of pressure; not something to be taken lightly! A barrel leading is going to slowly increase pressure independent of a specific "load" - so the data you are requesting really doesn't exist...............does it???
  7. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I interchange "Magnum" and regular all of the time with no negative effects that I can see. Primers have been scarce so I buy what is available. I really dislike my Glock 19 and will probably sell it, so it has never been shot with my LSWC reloads.

My Kimber 1911 eats them with no problems that I can see.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm right in what I'm doing, just no problems to date.
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

At least one load manual I have states you can replace a regular primer with a mag primer by going back to the start load, reducing by 5% & then working up again watching for signs of overpressure.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I always load "lite" so that may explain why I never have problems.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too use mag primers in nearly everything. I have read that simply exchanging std. primers for mags with a given load will boost pressures by 6%. So theoretically reduce by 6% with mag primers. 10% isnt a bad idea and will probably start you below your 'sweet spot'... I am a gunsmith and have seen the consequences of shooting lead in a glock factory barrel. Its not pretty and glock wont buy you a new pistol. Google "shooting lead in glocks" you will find stories and pictures supporting the reason why you shouldnt. better safe than sorry IMO...