Mag problem??

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by triplebike, Sep 24, 2009.

1. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Upon trying out my newly acquired Marlin 20, It seems like it has a Mag issue. The problem was that every time I got to the 3rd round it wouldn't chamber. Every other round in the mag was no problem, just round # 3. I did fiddle with it some & was able to get it solved somewhat. Anyone think that a new mag will solve the problem? Thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Did you pull the mag apart and clean it? I do think that a new mag would get rid of the issue, however, i think you could fix the one you already have without any problem. May need a new spring, but they're cheaper than a mag.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

my first guess would be it needs to be cleaned second would be a weak spring
  4. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Sorry but I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I don't see any way for the mag to come apart to clean. Is there something I'm missing? it's this mag;

https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=704046#
  5. *LIKTOSHOOT*

*LIKTOSHOOT* New Member

If the base does not slide or snap off, use the holes in the side to compress and hold the spring. The follower can then be angled and popped out, it may even drop out.

Weak spring? Maybe...but it lifts all others-correct? May have a snag somewhat(burr)unlikely.

It will chamber and fire #1 and #2 and # 3 does what? Not come up, bad angle and unable to feed. Then it will chamber and fire the remaining #4,#5,#6,#7.

Is one of these close?

Most likely the magazine does not fit that well and after a few shots it moves, you fiddle with #3 then by fiddling it feeds the rest??
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Had a glenfield 25 (marlin copy takes the same mag) the way it fits in the gun is rather sloppy, try cleaning the mag and holding you hand under the magazine while you shoot, keep upward pressure on the mag while you cycle the action and see if the problem persists...
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

+1 on JLA comments. Had the same deal. Mine would jamb shots 2 and 3 everything else was fine. Took some smithin to get it to fit right all the time.
  8. triplebike

triplebike New Member

Yup, see above in bold. I would have to eject unfired # 3. 4-7 chamber fine. I also noticed that # 2 has a scratch (for lack of a better word) on the bullet (not casing) as it's loading. Sorry if I'm not explaining this well. I did (every so slightly) open up the diameter of the top of the mag where it holds the back of the shell. It seemed that one side was bent in a little more than the other. When I did that I was able to get some mag loads to completely chamber all seven rounds, I still noticed the "scouring on round # 2. I believe that there was more scouring on rounds 3, 4 & 5 as well. Hey guys, I really appreciate your patience with me trying to solve this problem.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009