Magazine preference

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 29, 2007.

1. I would be curious about the consensus among 1911 shooters here as to magazines. I guess this question really breaks down into two questions:

First, what brand do you guys feel is most reliable . . .

And second, do you prefer the traditional 7-round mags, or the 8-rounders that seem to be more common these days even though they extend below the pistol butt instead of fitting flush.

I currently use 8-round Chip McCormicks, and 8-round Wilson Combats in both my 1911 Colts. What say you?
  2. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I use 8 round kimbers for carry, and they do not extend at all.

I also have wilson combat, they are fantastic but do extend in 8rd capacity.

I have some 10 round wilsons, and occasonally they feed improperly, so I only use them at the range.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I use the Wilson 8 round low profile magazines in my full size and commander guns. They do not extend below the grip frame. If you get the mags with the base pad, then they do.

IPT
  4. I'll keep that in mind next time I order some, IPT. Thanks! I must admit, the extended magazines look tacky to me, but I do like to have that extra round. What do you think of the non-metal followers on the Wilsons? I've always been a bit partial to the McCormicks simply because the follower is steel instead of polymer, though I've never had any trouble with either brand.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Never let the polymer bother me as it just pushes up the next round. If they ever wear out, which I highly doubt, I am sure Wilson would stand behind it and give you a replacement. I do have several Wilson mags that have the butt pad on them because my comp guns do have mag wells and the extra seating power of the pad is an absolute must in a competition.

My carry gun, a commander, does not have a mag well and never will. I just beveled the frame and it works fine.

IPT
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I use only Wilson Combat mags in my 1911. They have never given any trouble, as others have.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I use Wilson Combat in all my 1911's. But when shooting semi wadcutter rounds, Metalform is the only way to go.
  8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Chip McCormicks for me..... 8 rounders, they don't extend beyond the bottom of the grip.

I also LOVE stock 7/6 rounds Colt factory mags WITH a Chip McCormick follower and spring. The follower and spring extent the factory mag by ONE round. so my OM holds 7, and my full size holds 8.:D

I have some Wilson mags but they aren't my favorites.....
  9. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Chip McCormick 8 rd. with plastic base pad here.

8 rd. because at some of the places I shoot, they set up many of the shooting positions with an 8 round array. Having only 7 rounds, doing a static reload (for only 1 round, then only having 6 in the mag for the next position) would be a HUGH disadvantage.

Plastic base pads, because like inplanotx said, I want that extra seating power when changing mags. And because I have bent metal mags, when dropping them on the ground/cement while reloading.

While I don't have any, and know a LOT of people that use them, I have heard nothing but good about Wilson mags.
  10. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I am partial to the wilson combat mags as well. Although the mags that came with my Taurus seem to be pretty reliable too.
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I didn't know there were other pistol mags in the world... :D

Crpdeth
  12. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

I only use Wilson 7 & 8 rounders in my 1911.

cb
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Wilsons for me, 8 rounders.

They are even good in my old US&S. Smoooooooth.
  14. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Factory for both of the Para's. 16+2 base pad in the .40 & 10 round in .45.
    The 40's stick out about 1". the stock 16 round fit flush. The .45's fit flush. Both are doublestack type. I bought 5 Meggars for the .45. Only 2 worked right. Returned 1. The other 2 feed ok, but won't make the gun go to slidelock. :(
  15. Luv44mag

Luv44mag New Member

In 1911s The best mags I have found are Cobra mags from Tripp industries (STI) I use the 8 rounders. 2nd best are Wilson 8 round