magazine problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ryan42, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

My sons .22 marlin semi auto rifle has 10 round mags.I bought him another one at a gun show and its identical to his.The one from the gunshow will feed 2 right in a row and then it wont feed the third one in all the way.I pull the slide back and eject it and it will shoot 2 or 3 more and stop again.I checked the spring and by feel it feels just like the one that came with the gun.Any ideas? Can you buy springs for them or just buy another mag?
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO, if the rifle will empty the original magazine without jammimg then we can assume that it is not the gun. My wife has a Ruger 10-22 and I puchased a second after market mag for it. However it did exactly what yours does. I took the mag back and exchanged it and all was good. I would venture to guess that your mag also gave someone else heart ache as well, or it just does not fit your rifle. My wife's 10-22 is the only rifle that I have experienced that with so this is all I know. Maybe someone else knows more than me. I hope I helped.
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

Ive had to break-in magazines from time to time. I usually tear them down, if possible, and make sure there's no burrs, or flash on the follower. Then I'll load and unload them probably 30 or so times, and store them loaded. Seems to work for me, I even had Hi Point magazines that worked perfectly!
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

THANKS,ITS WORTH A TRY
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Ryan, You need to describe the type of jam.
    Is the bolt moving forward over the next round?
    Is the next round fed up too high, or too low?
    What mogunner said about burrs, or a dirty mag, is the usual culprit, along with bent feed lips, or the type of ammo.
    .22 auto loaders are bad for dumping shaved lead and burned/unburned powder residue into the mags. A good cleaning is the first order of business.
    After it's clean, only stick the follower back inside the mag body, thumb over the top, middle finger over the bottom,....flip it back and forth so the follower slides from top to bottom freely.
    When that's checked off the list, re-assemble and check for function.
    If that doesn't fix it, and it looks like the feed lips are guiding the round where it shouldn't be going, let me know. I'll have to dig for it, but somewhere I have a "how to", with pics and measurements, on how to tweak the mag feed lips on High Standard pistol mags, that works just as well on most other mags.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    This has been my experience also. I'm not a gun smith, so when I buy mags for my rifles that don't feed right, I head on down to my local smith. Some mags just have to be fitted to that particular gun.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

sorry about that it looked like it was feeding to low.I took the mag apart and cleaned it good and went shooting today with my boy and its working like a charm.Ill post more info next time.I learn something new every day.thanks guys.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Of course sometimes there are no factory mags available, especially for older guns, but many times the math doesn't make sense:

1. Buy factory magazine at gun shop $30.00
    2. Shoot

Cost $30

or

1. Buy no-name bargain mag at gun show or on line $20
    2 Waste ammo trying to get it to work $5
    3. Take to gunsmith (gas cost) $5 or more
    4. Gunsmith charges $20
    5. Shoot

Cost $50 (Cussing - no charge)

Jim
  10. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Ryan, glad ya got it fixed!
    FYI, There is a replacement magazine for every Marlin .22 made, except one, the 1st version of the .22 Model 50. Guess how I know that?:mad:

JimK, If you are not cussing, that little thingamajig, that no one on earth stocks, hasn't launched into the next county. And the customer didn't try hard enough to bork the gun, BEFORE he decided, a gunsmith really should be working on it.:D
    BTW...."Bork" or "Borked" is a new word my kid taught me. It means so screwed up and broken, there is no word to define how bad it is.:)
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

the gun shop said he had them for 18 bucks and I got this one at the gunshow a couple of months ago for 7 bucks so I did ok