Magicjack Plus Directions Not Complete

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raven818, Jan 25, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I started using magicjack when it first came out ( had vonnage ). It's always worked like any other phone ( but, at 1.70 month ).

I ordered the MJplus and got it Monday ( works w/o computer ). They left a major point about installing it off the directions.

You have to do the same with it, as you did with magicjack. Plug the USB into your computer first ( it don't tell you that ).

A screen will walk you the rest of the way through the installation.

You do have to plug it into your modem ( cord supplied ). Then into a regular wall jack after activating it. My computer hasn't been turned off in years, it's now off and a happy camper.
  2. geds

geds New Member

How is the quality of the phone call? Do you have to leave it plugged in to the modem?
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have wondered how they work. I take it from your comments that it DOES work but they just didn't include all of the instructions.

Do you get to keep the phone number that you had before?

You don't have any other phone service but magicjack?
  4. herohog

herohog New Member

5. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I've had vonage for years - no need to turn the computer on for it to work either. Not as cheap as MJ though.

I'm considering MJ for my kids - I work from home and the one line is for business. I"m not ready to spend the money to get them cell phones.
  6. Ken W

Ken W Member

I've heard that the quality of MJ is terrible. Horrid sound and constant disconnects. Apparently this can't be true if you've been using it for years. I'd like to hear more about it really.
  7. raven818

Not true.
    If you give it to your kids..you'll take it back.
    The quality of the phone is as good as any land-line I've had.
    No, I haven't had a land line since Vonage.
    If you get just the MJ, you have to leave your PC on.
    If you get the MJplus, it plugs into your router, and a wall plug.
    NO calls have been dropped. Like any phone, except a cell, when the power goes off, so does the phone.
    Use your existing phone number. Or, use your favorite vanity name..
    Give it any area code you want to. Send one to somebody in their area code.

Once you activate it, you just take the USB with you wherever you go. Plug it in your family/friends PC ( or router ), and it's the same as calling from your home ( no charge )

http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. raven818

Do what I did, if you're not sure. Get it and use it as second phone until you decide. Also, give the number, if you choose a new one, only to those of choice..family and friends. Then when that phone rings, you'll know the caller is a friendly.

For a buck-seventy a month, no way to go wrong. I bought the MJplus, five years of service to go with it, and won't see another bill until 1/26/18 ( one year is free with the MJplus ).
  9. geds

geds New Member

What does it actually cost? The website shows about $80 after the 30 day free trial offer. But they don't say anything about ongoing fees - they allude to them in the video, but nothing written.
  10. raven818

There are NO ongoing fees..That's it.
  11. geds

geds New Member

Still confused. I filled out the order for the 30 day free trial. On the 31st day they will charge my credit card $81. They want to give me free 5 year calls for $99. - last time I checked that was not free. They want me to agree to a one-time charge and I will never get a bill again - but they didn't say how much this one-time charge is.....Something smells very fishy.....

Why can't they tell me in plain English how much the darn thing costs to buy and how much they are going to bill me each year?
  12. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Active Member

Google says it is $70 to signup ($40 for device $30 for first year of service) and $7 for shipping. Add tax and you get the $81 charge. Then $30 a year after that for the service or you can prepay an extra 5 years for $100($50 savings) on signup. If you want to port your current number it is another $20 upon signup.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  13. raven818

It does not say they will give you 5 years free..read it again.
    As stated above, if you sign to get the five year plan, you get a total of 6 years.