Magnets for Home Defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by kuahiwi, Sep 18, 2012.

1. kuahiwi

kuahiwi New Member

A few weeks ago, I watched one of those reality TV whodunit's about a guy that was killed in Washington state. During the course of the show, it was revealed that one of the suspects had concern that the guy who was killed, was going to kill her - thus a motive for her being a suspect. Anyway, she feared this guy so much that she had installed, a magnet on her wall next to her bed behind a window curtain. I have since ordered 4 magnets and have, in fact, installed one of them on each side of my bed - one for myself and one for my wife. Bottom line - they worked GREAT!! The magnets hold her Taurus TCP and my Taurus P-111 very well and it's quite easy to grab the guns in case of a nighttime home invasion. I had bought the magnets from a guy on eBay who was selling them as a "for any use" item. Since I bought mine, he now sells them as home defense tools and he shows pictures of, not only handguns, but also knives on the magnets. I did figure out that my Beretta 92FS is a little too heavy, but 2 of them side by side holds it very well. Just an idea for everyone. It works for me!
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

very cool idea and highly useful I think. I buy magnets (usually 1" discs for pistol mag pouches) that are rated at 25lbs of pull but the same place has magnets that will hold up to hundreds of pounds.

Magcraft.com has the best prices around that I've found.
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Very good idea, I never thought of that before. Thanks for this thread
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

5. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Magnets from old hard drives are also very strong, I have one that holds on to my Blackhawk .357 with great power. I have a pal who uses one to keep his 1911 under concealment (covered with glove leather) in his car....Check around, you might have one in an old out of date hard drive someplace.
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Would magnets from speakers be strong enough?
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, a few I've messed with have very strong magnets if they're big enough speakers. Maybe a flea market or pawn shop find could land you one.