Magnum Primers???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Snakedriver, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've been reloading my ammunition for over 25 years and have been very happy with the accuracy and performance of my home-made rounds. I've always used standard primers for my pistol and small rifle rounds, but now the new manuals are calling for "magnum" primers in most loads. This seems wasteful in small caliber rounds like .223 Rem.. What's your opinion???:confused:
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

One good thing is, they seem to be the same price, it gives you the ability to reduce powder load and save a bit. Also availability is a bit better than standards because alot of reloaders feel as you do - using magnums is a waste or believe that magnum primers are only for magnum ammunition, dont be afraid to work up a load with them- if you have some data, I did with .308 and was really satistfied, particularly when large standard primers were 3 months backordered and the magnums were available immediately. Good Luck.
  3. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

According to CCI, if your not loading 60 grains in a large rifle, they are a waste of time. You get more pressure without more FPS return.

I dont know what it is for pistol and small rifle, but I bet its a long the same line.

Compressed loads should work better.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I shot 50 rounds of each, standard and magnum CCI primers, each with the same Accurate Arms 2520 powder load, under a Hornady 168 BTHP through my chrony via my M1A. I gained exactly 100 fps (93fps low to 108fps high) with the magnum primered loads. This data came from the Speer Load Manual #14.

The Speer manual shows magnum primers are used to attain their data for a 55gr bullet in .223 for the following powders: Win 748, AA2520, BL-C2, and H335.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another thing is that sometimes the spherical powders (like WW748, WW760, etc) are harder to ignite than stick powders and mag primers will help get a better burn on the powder.
    I don't have any .223-specific results to back this up, but when I'm using H414/WW760 in .22-250 and .22-6mm I get a much cleaner burn using mag primers. I don't need to use mag primers with IMR4064 (my other go-to for those two cartridges).
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Very interesting, thanks to everyone for their well thought out responses. I guess I'll have to get some mag. primers and try them next time i see them. :)
  7. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I was able to get a box of large rifle standard primers a month ago, but no luck finding the magnums.
  8. madsenshooter

madsenshooter New Member

Most of the loads you're seeing that call for magnum primers will be ball powders. Years ago I was using H414 and 760 in my Garand and M1A, mostly the M1A, and I was seeing dents on the cases that were fired after the first shot, powder granule sized dents. Standard primers weren't hot enough to fully ignite the H414 and unburned granules were falling back into the chamber when the case was extracted. A switch to magnum primers cleaned the problem right up and eliminated some vertical stringing too.
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Very interesting, I use almost all ball powders because they meter more consistantly than the others. That's probably why I'm seeing the recommendation for the magnum primers in the new loading manuals. I haven't seen the problems you mention in my reloads, but I can understand them.
    :)
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While the discussion is about rifle calibers, Winchester Large Pistol Primers are for both regular and magnum caliber usage. In a magazine article a few years back all the brands and sizes were compared. The pictures showed the flame front for each one tested and the Winchester primers were the most energetic in the photos.

I use Hodgdon ball powders almost exclusively and Winchester primers exclusively. I've never had any problems but it may be because the Winchester primers are the most energetic (???).

LDBennett
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yes Sir, gotta say i have met with the same results, I prefer WLP's in my .45 loads with W231; they do perform better than Rem's or Magtechs that i have tried. I've had to experiment with the WLP's not being available; both the Rem and MagT's dropped my velocities approx 5% and didn't burn as cleanly. They both did perform well, just not as great as the Winchesters.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, I can agree with yours and Wooleyworm's observations on WW being one of the hotter primers. At least a while back when WLR and WLRM were still silver-colored...
    The ones that I've bought in the last couple years are now brass-colored but I haven't used em behind any ball powders so I don't know if they changed their "recipe" or just cut the plating step to eliminate one more cost.
    With the old silver primers, I was still using WLRM behind my H414/WW760 loads in my .22-250.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009