Magnum Research 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by mncarpenter, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Is anyone familiar with the Magnum Research 1911? As in shot one, used one carried one, etc? I've read several reviews and of course all the armchair warrior opinions on the Innernet, so would like some first hand observation.

I picked one up in the gun shop the other day while comparing 1911's and it seemed like a well made gun, nice finish and smooth. Is it worth th the money-around 650-700 depending on where its bought. I compared it to a Springfield that was close to the same money, and frankly , it seems like a nicer gun. Made in Israel, I believe.

I perused the MR website for info, and find a very brief description, however it doesn't mention a firing pin block, does anyone know?

By the way this would be my first 1911..

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I too, have been waiting for some reviews of actual owner/users of the MR 1911. It looks interesting. I have a Desert Eagle .50 and it is really well made but they have been making them for quite awhile, but just started making 1911's. That's where unbiased reviews come in handy. Dont know what Springer you compared it with but dollar for dollar, I would go with Springfield. They make a superb product and their CS is second to none. JMHO. Course I am biased as I have A TRP and an EMP and I wouldnt part with them.:)
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Shooter, that's a great site. I was just going through and reading some of their other sections. Very informative.
  5. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Thanks, Shooter, I have read that review. GunClinger,I'm going back to the shop where I looked at that gun and see which Springer I was looking at,in comparison. I remember being impressed with the Desert Eagle 1911, and was mainly comparing it to a Citadel that was in the same case. Just happened to pick up the Springer as wasn't planning on spending that much money to start with. Another local shop has 2 American classics, and they feel and look really good for the money, and also get good reviews. But, I keep thinking 'bout the Desert Eagle... worst part is , I snoozed on one on brandx that was used, w/o the front cocking serrations,(early model, apparently), that had a buy it now of 525.00 and an opening bid of 400.00. My plan(so much for best laid plans) was to bid late and hopefully get it for 4 bills or so, as no one had bid. I did that with a BAR 300wsm and got it for 450.00,like new, 3 yrs old. Guess I was pushing my luck:( ... alittle bird said hit the Buy it now button, but I got greedy:rolleyes:
  6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Billboards....*barf*
  7. Shooter45

And your point is ?????

Do you have any better info ??? If so, type away. :)
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I handled a couple that came thru the shop the other day. Fit and finish were good for the price range. As good as any springer i have fondled. Id be willing to bet theyd shoot well too.
  9. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut feeling. If you like it and want it and it is available.........hmmmmm...... what are you waiting for? Down the road there is ALWAYS another 1911 to fall in love with and you wont be accused of cheating. As always...JMHO.
  10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The point is that I don't care for billboards on 1911s.

Are we restricted from posting about our personal tastes now too? :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  11. Shooter45

No, just wondering what you mean.

"The point is that I don't care of billboards on 1911s."

The above sentence makes no sense either. I'm still scratching my head.
  12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I corrected my grammatical error. Hopefully you can make sense of it now....
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

to each his own I guess... I personally think the 1911 makes a fantastic billboard, I mean they dont call it ol' slabsides for nuttn. You can put all sorts of witty sayings like "come get some" or my personal favorite "hawgslayer"... anything you want!

;)