Mags

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Nov 29, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I am wondering what kind of magazines I can get for my RIA. It only came with one, 8-round magazine. I am wondering if I can just get any old 1911 magazine that has an 8-round capacity. I see they sell Kimber mags at Gander Mountain. I would just like to have more than one mag. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i see i made you a convert john i know you'd like the checkmate mag
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Try a Wilson combat.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I actually was just surfing the net trying to find some more information on it. I guess you can by Novak magazines for it. I'm not sure off hand if that's what the pistol comes with. But yeah, everyone who wrote a review on it recommended Wilson Combat mags. I bet they're expensive.

I'd like to see if anywhere local sells the WC or Novak mags. I hate ordering things through the internet. Do you think most gun stores carry a wide variety of magazines?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Some do some dont. I just order online. I use Midway.com for most stuff, but there are many more companys that deal in stuff. I find it much easier to order on the net than driving to a local store that doesnt stock that which I covet.;)
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

and john yes it's the dimple . having to much time on my hands i once had a junk magazine with soft lips and a weak spring and no dimple that wouldn't feed anything worth a darn ... i replaced only the follower with a dimpled oneand it now worked fine.it was still junk but i was bored and wanted to see if the folks at m1911.org were right
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:eek: . now as for magazine dimples it's odd that john browning had it right after over 100 years of trying to improve the design. proper magazine function comes down to a simple little thing like a bump on the follower.
  8. ElrodCod

ElrodCod New Member

I have MetalForm, Springfield, Act, Wilson, and Baer mags. All work perfectly in all of my 1911s.
  9. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't know if that's too much or what, but I was on that site and looked up the 8-round Wilson Combat 1911 magazines. It says they are $38.49. Doesn't seem like a lot. But looking at the reviews and from what I've heard from people, they seem to be the best ones out there for what I'm looking for.

Are the Wilson Combat mags made with the dimpled follower?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  11. techoca

techoca New Member

Say what you will, Wilson magazines work; with any ammo.
  12. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

The thing I like about the Wilsons are the long leg followers. If you push on the nose of a standard follower, it will dip down signifigantly against the spring. The wilsons will only go straight down, not letting the nose of the cartridge dip forward. This just seems like a good design to me. I also like the self lubricating feature of the design. Thus far, the wilsons i have purchased have worked perfect. Hard to argue with that.

As said here, others are of quality as well, but that's just my take. Here locally, Wilsons = $30 ($32 with tax), McCormicks = $25 As I buy mine one at a time, it's cheaper to buy local w/tax rather than pay the ridiculous shipping. Seems like everyone wants $10 to ship a small item these days.
  13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i've had great luck with the shooting star series of magazines from chip mccormick and from the wilson model 47d . but for a original type magazine with a dimple i like the checkmate magazine, metlaform mags are good too but no dimple. beyond that i wont compromise my safety with anything not proven..... when i buy a 1911 i toss the factory mags in a range bag and replace them with anyone of the above listed magazines i know they work and i'll never have to wonder or worry. now of this is only if i feel like packing a 45 which is rarely but when i do i want to know i can count on it to not fail me if needed. when headed to a range i load up what ever i have laying around , including gun show junk and usa magazines.....