The Firearms Forum banner

Magtech schp 38s/.357 reloading data needed

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Raymond Reiloff 
#1 ·
Hello all.
I want to try magtech's 95gr Solid Coppar Hollow Point bullets in either a 38 special or a.357 magnum load but I'm having a hard time finding any data for this bullet.
Magtech's website seems to be down so instead I turn to you all.
I will be using a short barrel .357 magnum.
Unfortunately the only powder available at the moment is:
VihtaVuori N32C"Tin Star", N350 & 3N37.

Do you have a load that uses this bullet and one if these powders?
If so, please post your data here or send it to me.

Thanks in advance

Raymond

#3 ·
Awfully light bullet for either, I would pick a bullet in the normal range of weights. What diameter is that bullet?

Reactions: dbcooper
#4 ·
95gr JHP data should be usable for those bullets if you have some for that weight. 95gr isn't a very common weight for those two cartridges. That and having only those few VV powders to chose from really limits what you've got available for published data.
Just follow the usual procedure of starting at the min and working up while watching for high pressure signs.

I'll assume you've checked the VV reloading data site. If not, here's the link.
http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/handgun-reloading-data.html
The lightest weight they have for the 38Spcl and 357Mag is the 110gr Hornady though. Not sure how comfortable I'd be recommending you to use that data as a starting point. It is generally safe to use data for the next heavier bullet weight but it's still a big gap from 95 to 110 so you might run into problems with the low end being below a safe starting point.

Good luck with your data search and welcome to TFF!

#6 ·
Raymond, I'm with wollyworm. What is the diameter? Are they .355 or .357? Sounds more like a .380 or 9mm to me.

#7 ·
Magtech does have a .357" diameter 95gr CJHP. Actually two.
http://www.magtechammunition.com/products/view-product?id=128
http://www.magtechammunition.com/products/view-product?id=116
Those two listed as different SKUs too...so maybe the are indeed two different bullets. I find that very confusing...but then again, Magtech/CBC/S&B/MEN is a goofy setup all around. Pretty sure something gets lost in the language translation. :)

Either way, it's an oddball weight for a .38/.357 and it's still a problem to find data for it.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guy!
I still haven't sorted out the magtech schp's yet.
I did however try Barnes schp's in a 38special load, which at slightly above 1000fps , failed to expand while going through a 6" Swedish leafy tree at a distance of approximately 8-10m.
If anyone's interested I can post the reloading data and Quickload calculations.

.357 38special designated

.357 dia

Thanks Bindernut.
Hopefully a bit of testing can give an insight for others in their own development.

Regards
Tommy höglund

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.