Mailing Ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dbach

dbach Member

I am not in the business of shipping ammo. I do not have any ammo to ship and I don't even desire to ship any ammo.

So please no preaching.

I know that common carriers charge HazMat fees to ship primers and powder. My question is ..... are there HazMat fees on finished Ammo?

I used to be certified to ship Hazardous material via FedEx, but I wasn't shipping ammo, It was for a different explosive altogether. Since then I have dropped my cert and no longer do any of the shipping. FYI shipping something HazMat is a pain in the A$$, and no one in their right mind would want to do it. I did it but I never enjoyed it.

Curious minds want to know.
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

Ammo is not "hazardous" (hazmat) as such. It does require ORM-D markings on the package. No extra paperwork and no extra hazmat fees.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

4. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Yes but the USPS is not the shipper, Fed EX and I think UPS still ship ammo. I sent some out to a buyer from stuff I no longer needed. The people at Fed Ex station knew less about it than I did. It was truely a painful event. I had to tell them who to call at their headquarters to explain it to them. I sure it not the same at every FedEx shipper, at least I hope it is not.
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

I overlooked mentioning that-- ammo cannot be mailed. It must be shipped by common carrier ground service only.

If you need to ship ammo more than maybe once a year, the very simple solution is to call Fedex Home Delivery (ground) and open a shipper account. It costs nothing, and they can bill charges to your credit card, or bill you for check payment. Then when you need to ship ammo, just box it up well, label it with their on-line shipping label, add an ORM-D sticker, and call them for a pickup at your home. Very easy and painless.