Maine hunting trip (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/02 11:40:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Maine hunting trip (pics)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spent Nov. 8th thru the 17th in Somerset county Maine. Hunted my ass off, saw one buck but didn't have a shot. I shot this doe on Thursday evening after hunting pheasant/quail and grouse (over dogs)all day.
    I shot her when she stepped out of the treeline that I was watching. The pasture/field belongs to my family and they keep horses. One horse in particular is very much like a dog, follows you everywhere. When I squeezed the trigger, forementioned horse was literally standing over me (I was laying/hiding the the weeds). Needless to say, the horse jumped about two feet in the air. Lucky the ole' bastard didn't come down on top of me.
    102 lbs dressed. I had a doe tag (any deer permit). I wanted a buck so I held out as long as I could. It was a good day.
    I used a Ruger M77 30-06 w/ 150 gr Federal classic. At 120 yds it dropped her in her tracks. Stay tuned for venison jerky pics...

Edited by: cal414 at: 11/19/02 11:42:56 am

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/19/02 2:38:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Maine hunting trip (pics)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nice looking doe Cal. How did you do on the birds in the morning?

Also, you da man, I ain't never seen a deer slung that far up a tree!

Do you think the horse learned any lessons?

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/02 4:03:02 pm)
    Shooter22,
    We bird hunted on a preserve where pheasant and quail were "planted" for us. We bought 12 Pheasant and 6 quail. The dog found 10 of the Pheasant and four of the quail. She worked her butt off for us. I love a good English setter, they have a hearts of gold.
    The pheasant were all big cock birds and they wanted to run rather than fly. The dog and I did a good job of flushing them into the air. The little buggers can run like hell.
    I used a 20 GA w/#6 shot and a modified choke. Next year I'll use a full choke because I like to let them get out before I shoot and the modified choke wasn't reaching out like I wished it would.
    The horse isn't real bright but he has a good heart. I bet he has already forgotten the incident.
    As far as how high the deer is, well, any lower and the coy-dogs would get it at night. Those little bastards can jump really high. When I was a kid I lost a small buck to them. They pulled it right out of the tree and ate most of it. Needless to say, that evening I watched over that carcass and I decimated the coy-dog population. My AR-15 can throw some lead in a hurry if the need arises.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/02 4:25:41 pm)

Quote:
    Needless to say, that evening I watched over that carcass and I decimated the coy-dog population.

Now that sounds like fun!
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/20/02 3:40:11 pm)
    Good for you, Cal We, here in Missouri, don't have cool enough temps to hang a deer. We got to skin, and process it as soon as possible.

I remember going on pheasant hunts with my dad, before my accident. I was a 7 year old "picker-upper" They never got to hunt with dogs. So, I guess that made me a retriever.

Edited by: shooter22 at: 11/20/02 3:40:40 pm

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/21/02 9:36:36 am)
    Yea, I guess we're lucky. In Maine, during deer season, its usually cold as a witches tit. This year was only the second year that I can remember with no snow. It snowed seven inches on the sunday after the pic was taken. Go figure...
    We usually let them hang for a week. The "old timers" say to let them hang untill green stuff starts to grow on them. I can attest to the fact that the longer a deer hangs...the better it tastes. I usually take the tenderloins for breakfast the next day, as well as the heart. The rest I let hang as long as practical or possible.
    Coffee, Biscuts, real butter, fried deer heart and half a dozen eggs over easy is quite possibly my favorite meal in the world. I'd take it over most anything I can think of. You can have your filet of whatever...I'll take my venison every time.
    One thing I've noticed about all the deer pics on this board is that the heads of the southern deer look very narrow. Is this a regional variation or just a coincidence?
    Even the bucks in rut look like they have "greyhound heads".
    Mabey its just the pictures.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/21/02 10:58:34 am)
    Ayuh....that's a wicked nice lookin deah. Ya done pretty good for somebody "from away".

Help keep Maine green......bring money!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/21/02 11:22:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Maine hunting trip (pics)
    Nice deer and it sounds like you had a great hunt.

Wish I had a pair of them nomex flight gloves you are wearing. I have worn all mine out and don't have a source for them anymore. They are the best for hunting.

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/21/02 12:03:20 pm)
    Nice deer and great post cal414!

Piggy, go to Hatch SWAT Nomex Flight Gloves for the gloves.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/21/02 3:48:19 pm)
    Cal, Some of the racks are narrrow, but others are spread out. Usually the narrow racks ahve the longer tines and the wider has the shorter tines. It is all in the genes and nutrition of the animal.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/22/02 10:47:44 am)
    Shooter,
    I wasn't talking about the racks, I was talking about the head in general. Southern deer look like they have very narrow heads, Nothern deer look like they have wider heads.
    Just something I noticed, its probably just the pictures.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/22/02 2:38:57 pm)
    I don't know. My brother has a mount that has a wide head. ine has a particularly long thin head. Even the taxidermist said so.