1. TimEllis

TimEllis New Member

I just have to post this vent - I am originally from England & moved to Florida about 11 years ago. Shooting & collecting old guns is now my major hobby.

So, yesterday my wifes parents arrive from England to stay with us & visit the grandchildren etc. So I decide to go shooting this morning to get out of the house. Fortunatly for me my new Les Baer Ultimate AR had just arrived a few days earlier, so I am excited to get to shoot the thing. Here I am, checking the weapon before I leave & the "in-laws" see me with the gun - "You know all guns are now banned in England" they tell me - I reply that its a shame that a few criminals have ruined it for the responsible shooters, to which they reply - "Tough on them" !!!! - Guns are bad & no-one should own one - (at this point my blood is BOILING) - they then go on to tell me what a bad guy George Bush is, & how the war was unjust etc - So I promptly left to go shooting ( HAD to get away) - I got 2 miles out & it starts PISSING down with rain, so here I am, back at home, with my Les Baer & the "in-laws"

Have a nice day! because I sure aint' ( BTW- they are here for 2 weeks....)
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Welcome to TFF, Tim. :)

Sorry about the problem with the in-laws. Hang in there, and we'll celebrate with ya when they leave. ;)
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Dealing with in-laws is one of the hardest tasks in life. I feel for ya, Tim.

My mother-in-law happens to be a staunch Democrat. I had the misfortune of getting into a political discussion with her one day at lunch. She's a frail little old lady, probably 65 years old. But she launched up out of her chair and was pointing her finger in my face and chewing me out.

Hang in there, man.
  4. Texan

Texan New Member

I feel for you, my in-laws are both politicians and die hard democrats. My wife is also a democrat and they are all anti-gun. We have agreed to not discuss poiltics and thatnkfully they are great people with the exception of their political choices. I hope that your in-laws will look at the facts or just not give you a hard time about our hobby. Have you asked if they would like to learn to shoot or at least hold the target?;)
  5. LewairLavell

LewairLavell New Member

Yeah but even I do that to you Sniper and I'm your brother!

Tim, I work with a few Chinamen, a girl from India and my advisor is from England. Being at the acedemic institution I'm at, they're all quite liberal. I like to take the small opportunities that I get to 'educate' them on realities of dealing with firearms and the realities and benefits of having a political outlook that agrees with that system. Just remember that you can't teach all old dogs new tricks, but you can choose a non-confrontational, intelligent way of discussing situations like that with people (with the set goal of only wanting to probe their abilities to rationally think and construct arguments) and in such ways plant the seeds of tolerance and openmindedness to such issues with individuals. I find that works with family anyway. But at the same time, all I can really say is good luck!
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

But at least my mother-in-law doesn't use the "F" word in every sentence.... :D

Chinamen??? You don't call them that to their faces, do you?
  7. LewairLavell

LewairLavell New Member

ya :p
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Tim;
    Welcome to TFF.
    Sorry to hear about the in-laws.
    That is what happens when the government and media has had enough time to “brainwash” the public into thinking they have no rights and no need to protect themselves.
    As you know they are trying to do that here, and in some respects, are getting away with it.
  9. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

Tim, I have always gone with the philosophy that "This too, shall pass." It's got me through some trying times.

My mother in law had a real hate for me. As near as I could figure the only reason was, that I had hair on my face, wore cowboy boots, had guns and lived on a gravel road.:rolleyes:
    Hey....maybe she was right.:D

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.
  10. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to TFF Tim and more importantly welcome to the USA where we can legally own guns (I know you have been here 11 yrs) its too bad you inlaws have thier heads in the sand but whats a guy gonna do?
  11. warpig

warpig Guest

I would sit in front of them with your NEW BLACK SNIPER RIFLE and polish the ammo and mumble. Every once in a while practice your trigger squeeze at the tv.

There is no saving them but you should try. Did you point out that if it weren't for an armed population there would not even be a USA.
  12. TimEllis

TimEllis New Member

warpig

WarPig - I did exactly that - the rain stopped so I got to go shooting - got home - stripped it & cleaned for an hour or so - they were not happy! I then left it out on display in the kitchen for all to see!

Its poinless trying to rationalize with them - the seeds are planted deep. Thanks for the replys from other members - the good thing is only 8 more days to go & they go home.
  13. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

Piggy...you'se a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. riderbob

riderbob New Member

Just west of " You sure do live a long way from
    Inlaws

Boy
    I guess I'm pretty lucky. My Inlaws are pretty good about guns. But it is a little unusual. My mother in law has no beef with guns, my sister in law will shoot on occasion, but mainly to be with hubby. My wife is a Nurse and a little anti. She will shoot my .22's @ cans and such but can't take her hunting, she wants to run out and fix whatever i shoot. LOL but true. She gave me greif about ccw permit until she found out dear old dad had been licenced for most of her childhood. Said she had never seen him carry in all those years, and I told her that was the whole point. She didn't like it ,but understood it. All the brother in laws are Shooters hunters and into archery. (I getting my setup soon) So we all get along great.

Just my $.02 worth.

Rider
  15. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Welcome, Tim. Please join in with us often.

Can't add any to having "outlaws" for in-laws. Patience is a virtue, I'm told, and they will, I presume, return to the old country. In the meantime, just bite your tongue. I've been there but my former in-laws are now deceased. Were fine folks except for the gun and hunting issue. They, too, strictly had their heads in the sand.....
  16. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I've been lucky with the in-laws.

My mother-in-law passed away not long after my 8yo was born...almost on her birthday. Katie wasn't named after her, though. She was named after my pistol-packing paternal grandmother. [grin] (A Registered Nurse that kept an old .38 Special in the nightstand and raised three boys on her own.) My father-in-law passed away before I met my wife. Jean (my mother-in-law) was a sweet, dear woman who raised 7 kids in Idaho. Guns fed the family more often than not.

My parents, however, can sometimes be schizophrenic. Dad, a longtime member of the NRA when I was a kid, was active in a skeet league. As a matter of fact, my present computer table used to be his reloading table. (Custom-built with 4X4 legs and massively stable.) Both Mom and Dad grew up with guns. Somewhere along the way, however, they started believing everything the media told them about guns and gun-control/registration, etc. Recently, however, I think that some quiet, calm disagreement with some of the emotional points has paid off.

When Dad would grump about the NRA standing in the way of this gun law or another gun law, I pointed out that criminals don't care what the law says, that's why they're criminals.

When he'd grump about gun locks, I'd point out that he taught me early on that a safety was a mechanical device that can and *will* fail. How was a lock any different? Wasn't muzzle-control, the safety technique he taught me, a better method to make sure nobody got hurt?

When he got upset about guns being "too easy for kids to play with" I pointed out that it is absolutely impossible to childproof a gun, but I could gunproof my children by teaching them the right way to handle guns safely, like he did with me and my two sisters.

The other day, an event occurred that I had dreaded: One of my kids mentioned my handgun in front of my parents while they were over at my house. (You see, Dad had always had several long guns in the house, but had a distaste for handguns.) Instead of hushing Katie up about it, I simply let the conversation happen and didn't act uptight about it. Mom and Dad both agreed that, while the 15yo was old enough to learn to shoot a handgun, that Katydid needed to learn on a .22LR rifle rather than my 9mm CZ75.

Both Mom and Dad left without showing any obvious signs of disapproval. (Trust me, if Mom disapproved, she might not say so, but you'd see it written on her face in BIG BOLD LETTERS.) Later on, discussions with them concerning guns went well, as they obviously felt I was being careful with their grandkids.

Now, if I can just talk Dad into letting me fix his matched pair of Remington 1100s.....[grin]