1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mak-90 stock

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by bntyhntr6975, Mar 17, 2012.

1. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I recently picked up this Mak-90 at a gun show ('93 stamped). I have never seen a stock like this, am wondering if it was a thumbhole that has been cut? If so, can't tell it, someone did a real good job. If it was the thumbhole, what does the modified stock do to the 922r compliance? It does not exceed 10 foreign countable parts, but would it matter if the stock was modified? I am planning on replacing all the furniture with U.S. parts anyway, but am curious about this none the less.

Attached Files:

2. okiefired

okiefired New Member

I dont know about the lagalities of it but yes, it is a modified thumbhole stock. All the Mak's i have ever seen were thumbhole. BTW, they're great AK's. I put one of Advance Technologies Fiberforce stocks on mine and really liked it.

okie
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I'm not a fan of ATI myself. Most likely going with Arsenal polymer (NATO length) or a nice set of U.S. wood, undecided on what wood tho. Pretty sure it is a modified thumbhole but it was blended in very well, really can't tell it was ever cut and re-shaped.
  4. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Well, if you already knew everything and were'nt gonna believe anything I said, why'd you ask? Good luck with it.

okie
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I meant no offense to you, and can't see where I gave any. But apparently thats what happened. So I will apologize even though I do not understand for what. If it helps you sleep at night, I will even say I was wrong about something.
  6. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Well, you immediately dump on my advice about stocks. Then, after I tell you that IT IS a moded thumbhole, your reply is I'm "pretty sure" it is. You didn't offend me I simply wondered why you asked if you weren't going to believe anything that was told you. And for future reference, you can save your "I'm only doing this to appease you" appologies. Like I said, good luck with your MAK and have fun with it, I always regreted getting rid of mine.

okie

BTW, the MAK 90 reciever is shaped slightly different than other AK's, it may be a little difficult to find wood furniture other than factory for it. Not saying they dont exist, just that they're probably not as plentiful as that of a regular AK.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I said that I'm not a fan of ATI products, was not meant to put down your opinion. I don't care for Fords either but I do not care what you want to drive, you have your choice and I have mine. And yes, I am pretty sure it is a modified thumbhole, was not sure so was wondering if anyone had happened to see this before, other than as a mod. I do not know how you can be absolutely sure, simply based on the fact that you have not seen one like it (nor have I), so we can only be "pretty sure", thus far. As was said, I meant no offense to you. Regarding wood furniture for Mak-90s, yes there are some U.S. made ones available specifically for the Maks. A quick google search reveals this.
  8. okiefired

okiefired New Member

A "quick Google search" would have answered all your questions.
  9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Mak-90 receivers can be straight cut or slant cut. The straight cut has lots of stock options available - the slant cut not so much.
  10. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Yea, it's the straight receiver. Chinese surplus wood is pretty much a direct replacement, with the buttstock sometimes needing fitted down just a little. But I really need to go with U.S. furniture, quite afew options available (ironwoods has some very nice looking ones). I haven't been around any Maks that were milled so I don't know if any are, but this one is stamped. For the time being, does a modified U.S. part still count towards 922r compliance?
  11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As long as the part is US made I see no reason it wouldn't. I had to do a little shaping to get the fit I wanted when I replaced the stock on my Mak. I have a couple different sets of furniture but most time mine wears this OD green folder, Galil type handguard, and SAW style grip...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Very nice looking. I am considering the saw type grip, it is pretty comfy. I would like to try the Hogue grip as well. Most have felt good on others but there has been a few that just seemed too thin (like on my Ruger Redhawk) for my big hands. I guess any minor fitting (needed on most parts anyway) would make a part to be considered modified, so that makes sense. Hoping to get new U.S. furniture in next week or so anyway and not sure if I'm gonna keep this wood around or not.
  13. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

What was the purpose of that dumb-hole stock anyway.:confused::confused::confused:
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

To skirt the import regulations of the time period. You could not have a pistol grip so you saw the thumbhole stocks everywhere.
  15. armenjs802

armenjs802 New Member

Well, one of the few banned States in US, and for
    Well iam afraid to tell you that is altered stuck. yeah someone actually did nice bubba job on it. I replaced my Mak90 with the skeleton stuck back in 2001 from tapco i think it was. I do have my thumb hole stock, i will find it and post the pics. You might wanna see if the color matches to your handguardsU/L

[​IMG]