MAK 90 Upgrade: Help with the rules

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Steely, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Steely

Steely New Member

I just recently purchased a used MAK 90 with several 30 rd Mags. Serial Number starts with 93. It does have a nice flash suppressor on it as well as the thumbhole stock. This is my first imported assault rifle, and I am unsure on the rules. I would like to add a folding stock, some picatinny rails, and maybe a foregrip. Some of the stocks for sale, mention needing US compliance parts in order to be legal. Can anyone explain this to me in Layman's terms?
    Thanks
    Erin
    (can I add a rail mounted bi-pod and be legal?)
  2. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

Search 922r parts list.

Basically you have a post 89 imported sporter model. So you cannot legally reconfigure it to preban "evil assault weapons for baby killers" configuration UNLESS it has no more than 10 imported parts on the list of parts covered by 922r.

Usually this means using US made pistol grip, buttstock, forearm, fire control parts and magazines.
  3. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

You can do all the mods you want, just make sure you are compliant. When ordering up your parts it is very important to know if you have a stamped or milled receiver,and whether your receiver is straight or angled - you need to take the butthole stock off and look at the rear of the receiver. Try ironwooddesigns.com for wood furniture.

BTW do yourself a huge favor and add a red dot optic, it makes ALL the difference. The Choate (fiberforce) stock shown on my gun is ban compliant and a big improvement over the Chinese wood.

Now, the rest of the bad news. Norinco made AK's have a thicker receiver, action block and barrel than east block AK's. Most of the quad rails on the net will not fit as the MAK barrel and other dimensions are too thick. Make sure before you order that the descripition says the parts will fit the MAK. combathunting.com has the quadrail for the thicker barrels. Just search the AK accessory selection. I have the UMG quad rail on my MAK 90:
    [​IMG]

regards,
    Steve
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  4. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

Oh and rails and bipods are not listed parts so you can legally add them in any configuration.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Many rails on AKs are built into the foregrips, which changes the original configuration. Folding stock or new foregrips also change the configuration, so you'll need to get the compliance parts.

The easiest way to make sure you're covered is to buy a compliance kit. It comes with 5 U.S.-made parts, and they are about the easiest parts to switch out. Just make sure you install the new parts BEFORE making any other changes.

Here's one by Century Arms:
    http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=568

And here's one by Tapco (I kinda think that Century makes these for Tapco, though, so you're paying extra just for the name):
    http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=578

Once you have the compliance kit installed, you're pretty well free to do whatever else you want to the gun.
  6. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

K-VAR makes the best quality parts out there(US) ....hands down.
    The Mak90 should accept any parts for any AK , with the only exception of the NM model (National Match) National Match AK?????
  7. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Easiest Mak90 conversion that is compliant is to replace the
    furniture with all US made and the fire control parts with US made.
    Then, if you have a threaded barrel, use a US made muzzle device.