Makarov, huh?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, Apr 16, 2004.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

So I need the makarov people here to tell me what they know. This little Bulgarian mak cought my eye. I have heard they are extremely reliable, and vicious at short ranges. So, lets hear it. Are they worth owning?
    I want to plinck with it, but I also want a well made gun. Will it stand the test of time? Are they built well or should I pass?

--Beagle
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The Mak is a well made, rugged, reliable Soviet copy of the Walther PP.

As a defensive weapon, the 9X18 cartridge falls between the .380ACP and the 9mm Parabellum.....closer to the .380. Not exactly a man-stopper, but perhaps adequate at close ranges.

As a plinker.....as long as ammunition is fairly cheap, it's a fun gun to plink with....but....it'll never be as cheap as a .22 rimfire.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

When last at camp in East Tejas, LTS let me shoot his. My first reaction was "get me one". Xracer is right, they are well made and fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap!
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  4. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

I got two of 'em. They work great and the ammo is in the 200-265 ft/lb range. My Russian has had some "mods" to allow ammo up to about 310 ft/lbs, but man it has a sharp kick at that level. Never had a FTF or hiccup in either of 'em. Try the 115gr Silver Bear JHP's, you'll like the power level:cool:
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

rglbegl, I've only ever heard good things about them...They are supposed to be very robust and well designed. You also can't beat the price on the imported ammo...JMO! I know LTS had some up for auction a while back and I probably should have bid on them...:(
  6. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

The Bulgarian ones are great. Almost as good as the Soviet. I would highly recommend both. Highly reliable and accurate, and also , you can get a brand new one for about $200.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

That is way over priced for this neck of the woods! Tejas, that is! Figure about $160 here!
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  8. cd45

cd45 New Member

I have had one for about 5 years now. I have had nothing bad to say about it. Go to www.makarov.com, they have a lot of good info. Good luck.
  9. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Just bought another Ruskie yesterday. Can't have too many:D
  10. robsguns

robsguns New Member

Awesome gun

I have 2, bought one, then just had to have a spare, and thats saying a lot for me to buy 2 of the same kind. I have the Bulgarian model, and they shoot awesome, accurate and consistent from brand to brand. No complaints.

Incidentally, you can get them for 130.00 all day long now, cheaper some times, dont pay more than that.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_hand.html

This one will get you more mags and an extra set of grips, though more money, still cheaper than most though, considering what you're getting.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Like_New_Bulgarian_Makarov.html
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  11. txpete

txpete New Member

[​IMG]
    one of the best bang for the buck.I love them.
    a real russian military,russian comm. hi-cap IJ-70,bulgarian military all in 9mm mak.
    pete