makarov

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by don.o, May 11, 2006.

1. don.o

don.o New Member

JUst purchased two East German maks. I have been shooting both of them, but they both have the same symptom they refuse to jam! Even my everloving walthers jam once in a while. These guns are flawless, anyone had any experience with Makarovs?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I have shot one before it was a buddy of mines it was clean with little recoil
  3. younggunguru

younggunguru New Member

i also shot one that belonged to a friend of mine. he loved it, but he wanted more power so he sold it and got a wilson 1911. he likes the power, but you are corect, the makarov is more relyable.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My son has one and loves it. I have shot it and it is a nice gun, although his is the Bulgarian model.
  5. bjay

bjay New Member

I've got a Russian-made mak and it's a ton of fun. Good fit and finish and it has never jammed. Not sure that makes it any more reliable than a 1911, at least my Colt Gold Cup, which has never jammed either.

The real bonus of my Russian mak is that it was possitively cheap NIB at a Dallas gun show about five or six years ago. It came with a leather holster, which is a pretty cheap POS, two extra mags, a cleaning/disassembly tool and instructions in English all in a printed cardboard box.

That 9mm round is not exactly over-powered and I do not know anyone personally who carries one for personal protection. It's tempting though as they are so small and handy. Wolf ammo is reliable and inexpensive too. It's one of the very few calibers I own that I have no interest in handloading for.

bjay
  6. punchie

punchie Member

I have the same problem with my E.German MAK. Fit, finish and worksmanship on par or better than any but it just refuses not to fire. Have it loaded with some nice Cor-Bons right now.
  7. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I also have a Russian Mac, and it has never failed to fire in the 9 years i have owned it. My firearns instructor was able to hit a 6 in round plate at 75 yrs with it .It is a fun little pistol to play with and the best part was the price, $125.00 out the door .
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

What makes the German Maks most desirable is that they qualify as C&R guns.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My EG one never malfunctioned either, and was accurate as heck...if I EVER find the guy who STOLE it he's toast... :mad:

My Russian Commercial Baikal Makarov with adjustible sights that I bought to replace it is JUST as accurate, BUT would "fail to feed" the 115 JHP Brown Bear with those WIDE mouths, but all I did was polish the feed ramp in the frame and "break" the sharp edge of the barrel mouth and now they feed just as flawlessly, it was actually pretty easy to do, although I'm not sure I would have done it with the "collectible" EG one though. (Although I never fired any of the 115 grs through it, they didn't make them at the time...)

I've never fired a Bulgarian, but even though they seem "rougher" than the EG, I've HEARD they are just as good.

Have you seen that some EG ones are back on the market? However, SOG lists them at $295 each and they are not listed as CR for some reason...HHHmmm...

I paid $99 for my EG, right after I got my CRFFL in 2000, and $125 for the Baikal a couple of years ago, almost NIB with all the instructions and accessories...the Baikals are not THAT common, but I stumbled on mine at a gunshow "hidden" on a table filled with "more desirable" (i.e., "more expensive") handguns...but after I asked the guy to "see the Makarov," FIVE other guys who heard me lined up around me and said they wanted to look at it when I was done...so I DIDN'T offer the guy $100 like I planned :cool: , I just said 'I'll take it..." :p One of the guys came up to me about an hour later and offered me $150 for it... :)

I used to carry my Mak in a Desantis IWB holster with an extra mag holder on it as my carry gun every day, and still do occasionally...YES I know "if you're gonna carry at all you should carry a .45!" :cool: BUT for a "just in case" gun you probably will NEVER need that you can quickly grab, comfortably carry and hide under even summer clothes, the Makarov is tough to beat!

And make sure you try those Pierce soft rubber oversized replacement grips, they make it even more controllable, at least for me and my big Polish Mitts :p ...and put a "split ring" through the hole in the heel clip mag release, and with a little practice you can reload as fast as a thumb release, just yank the ring and the mag falls out...I HATE those heel releases, but you can't do the split ring trick unless it has the hole, and most other European "pocket" autos don't have one...
    Last edited: May 14, 2006
  10. polishshooter

Thanks for getting me thinking about the Makarov, again! It's been a while since I shot it.

I took mine out back today and shot two mags through it today, shot a couple of slow groups, then the rest trying quick double-taps flipping the safety between the two shots, which is TOUGH with that long DA first pull and the short SA second...

I was keeping it in the paper plate target at about 15 yds, but bigger groups than I remember. Of course, it's been at LEAST a year since I fired it. Plus, I started carrying it with alternating 115 gr. Brown Bear JHPs and the 95gr FMJs, so that probably didn't help either. I have NEVER been a fan of HPs from ANY pistol, much less one with less than 1000fps at 10 yds, plus I've heard the Russian Police have been less than thrilled with the 9x18 for penetration, especially against vests, and thought about ressurecting the 7.62x25 Tokarev round, which is why I still wanted the mixed load with FMJs...I WISH somebody would come up with a matching 115gr FMJ to complement the JHP....

With a slow fire SA only I put a couple of three round groups into about 1-2" which is what I remember.

THANKS again for getting me to get it out to "exercise" it. Now I need to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo next show.

Plus I need to find what the heck I did with the pouch with two EXTRA loaded mags I have! :mad: I just KNOW my wife "put them somewhere where they belong" when she was cleaning and forgot where. I thought "on her dresser" was safe enough! :cool:
    Last edited: May 14, 2006
  11. cpt.bales

cpt.bales Former Guest

I have a russian mak. i got it for 50 bucks from a friend of mine and i love the little thing. mine has jammed a couple times but nothing to serious. i carried it for protection until i got my 1911. it now sits broken needing a new part and then i can take it out and do some plinking. great gun !!!
  12. polishshooter

cpt., there are Makarov parts around and available...I think FAC or somebody even sells a "Makarov armorers kit" for like $90 or something that has multiples of all the parts that can go bad, which isn't many since there are only like 27 total in the entire GUN, counting even the grips and the 4 parts of the mag!
  13. IBFrank

IBFrank New Member

I also had a beautiful Russian Mak. Excellent little pistol. The SOB that stole it will rue the day, someday. Now my smaller Polish P-64 rides with me. It's even easier to hide and works just as good. The P-64 is more like the Walther PP or PPK in design and tears down just like the Mak. And, like the Mak, it's built like a tank. Tough, reliable, safe, and reasonably accurate. Think I gave $139.00 for it and worth every penny.