make a 15 round mag. to 10 round

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by goofy, Apr 7, 2012.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I have a retailer I do smith work for he got a Walther PPQ it came with 15 round mags.
    He wants to sell it but due to NY law he can not sell the mags intill they are adapted to take 10 rounds only.
    Walther tells me that they will have 10 round mags available in 6 to 8 months(maybe up to a year) they are being made as we speak.
    I know a couple of ways to do this but I would like to see how others do it.
    When you "plug" a mag. do you use wood or plastic?
    Do you fit the plug so it floats inside of spring?
    It is a 9mm but walther says that only PPQ mags will work that any others wont fit.This doesn't sound right why another mag does not fit.Like the PPK.
    Are there any after market restriction kits to do this with?
    This is a new gun it hasn't been on the market that long.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for you help!
    Mike
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The PPK has completely different dimensions, and why in the world would a .380 magazine function in a 9mm?

Anyway, P99/SW99 magazines work in the PPQ, as well as Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle mags. ProMag also makes 10rd magazines for these guns, although quality can be spotty.
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.When I said like a ppk I was referring to that you can get other mags for it not that the PPK and the PPQ took the same mag.Or that they were the same cal.
    Do you ever plug mags?
    Mike
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The way to go depends a bit on the law and the regulations (if any) to enforce it. If there is no need to permanently restrict the magazine, then a simple plug should be fine. But if the law requires, you might have to install a permanent block by welding or crimping, and possibly also cut the spring.

Your dealer friend should be able to find out from the NYSP or the local LEA what is required so the ultimate customer doesn't get into trouble.

Jim
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I checked with the sheriffs and state police and this is there anser.
    "A magazine in the state of NY can only be able to hold 10 rounds"
    When I asked about altering a large cap mag to only hold 10 rounds I was told the same thing.
    When I asked if the change had to be permanent I was told the same thing!
    So allot of help they were :rolleyes:
    So I will tell the retailer just to buy after market mags or wait for the 10 round ppq mags to come out.
    Thanks jim
    Mike
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That sounds about like an answer you'd get goofy!
    I've tried and asked a few questions as such down this way and usually, got a straight,
    no help sort of answer.
    Shame you couldnt make your project work just fine.
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks Zane
    This question came up when he dropped off a couple of guns that he needed me to do some work on.
    I am not sure who he got the gun from because non of my distributors will send a gun here with max. mags.
    So it is his problem to deal with not mine.
    Not getting a straight answer from the local LEO around here is a ongoing problem.I normally here "What does the book say" but getting a straight answer is almost impossible.
    Mike