Make a powder trickler for $5.00 or less.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Indy Bob, May 12, 2012.

1. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum but not to shooting and reloading. Being retired on a small fixed income it is time to save pennies! In my 71 years I have be OUT in back in shooting 3 times .... and this time is is more expensive! :eek:
    Attached are 2 photos that may show you how I did this. I started with a PVC fitting with no threads in either end of the heavy duty coupling, $1.69 at Lowes. Almost any Hobby Shop will have brass K&S tubing. You will need 5/16 O.D. Inside diameter should be slightly more than 1/4". Find a 1/4" hex-head bolt ... My bolt is 1-1/2" long and the spring about the same. (I think Lowes also has springs in the specialty section). I am a pack rat so I had the "firm" spring that would thread onto the 1/4-20 threads on the bolt, and, the spring should be a "close fit" to the tube and still thread onto the bolt. I used some Lok-Tite to glue it to the bolt. Epoxy might work???
    This sounds more complicated than it really is.:)

NOTE: The spring will "expand" as it is threaded on the bolt...... so it will have to be THINNED down with a grinder at the threads. (be gentle here). You may have some tight spots when turning bolt to "auger" the powder out the end. Inspect, and feel for rough edges, and lightly grind the area some more. When powder is put in, be sure you turn it the correct direction. If you don't it will not turn after a couple turns. (Just empty the contents and gently twist and pull out the bolt and spring).
    PS. The brass tube gets a small hole drilled in it ..... and the bottom of the powder hopper is simply an index card, shaped to a close fit, and siliconed in place. Heavy washer was also siliconed onto the bottom as a base.
    Photos should show enough to duplicate this ... and good luck.

Attached Files:

2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

i think i have everything i need at work to make one
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Warm welcome to the forum, Indy Bob, from across the pond.

You have stumbled on a great place, finding this forum. It's a good place to bounce ideas around, get and give advice, and generally have a good chin-wag on a wide variety of topics.

Thanks for a very good idea--we're always looking for ways to save $.

BTW I grew up in Broad Ripple, still get back from time to time to visit family and friends.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

an assembled pic would be great. I have bolts and springs and tubing and fittings at home.. might even have the know how.. more pics please.. :)
  5. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Sure thing....... Here is the assembled trickler set up by my scale. Note the gun cleaning cradle in the background. It was a "pack rat", slap together project too. :D
    I also decided to include a picture of it.

Indy Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. soundguy

thanks for the pics, looks neat
  7. mikld

mikld Active Member

Like that! Welcome...
  8. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

I modified my rcbs trickler and thought it was a good idea. I filled the bottom side of my trickler with lead. I got the idea one night reloading and I knocked it over and spilled my powder. After i filled it with lead I mixed up some JB Weld and capped it off to keep the chunk of lead from falling out. Works great.
  9. soundguy

got a pic?
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. The new RCBS trickler body is pretty light.
    I've got a Redding trickler on my bench. While it's built just like the RCBS (aren't they all about the same? :)), the Redding's base is solid and it's got a good heft to keep it in place. The older RCBS tricklers had a solid base at one time too.
  11. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

great idea and $ saving tip