1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Makeing pretty cartridges, but lots of start up problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

What a friggin' bummer !
    I'm not even gonna mention how much I love my 550B.
    Friends have the LNL and like it....it must be attainable
    to get her back working.....frustrating I am sure....
    BUT, one thing crossed my mind Stev......you are REALLY
    gaining some knowledge from this, you would have to be.
    As usual, Mr. Bennett is full of it......and fortunate for us
    that he takes the time to share his knowledge....he doesn't have
    to give us his time, yet he willingly always shows up with the cavalry.
    [Full of help...LDB...and caring...not....]
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Stev,

Lets rewind a bit on the primer issue, several things should be addressed and function tested before diagnosing this as simply a bad design and re-engineering a brand new press with a dremel tool.

First, did you degrease the primer feed tubes with Hornady gun cleaner and dry lube? Did you check them for obstructions or burs? Is the feed tube shoulder end down AND seated properly into the hole of the primer tube housing? Are you using the appropriate tube diameter for small or large primers?

Next, remove the primer tube housing, primer tube and support. Now cycle your press handle while simultaneoulsy looking down into the primer tube housing and watch to see the hole in the primer slide assembly. Is this hole moving fully into view? If the slide is moving rearward enough to align with a primer dropping from the tube your aligment is correct, at this point your primer slide assembly may tested. Assemble your primer system add some primers, MAKE SURE to use the white, fiberglass primer follower on top of the primers. If you are using small primers, simply install the large primer slide and test the function of primers. If thus far everything checks out you need a new small primer slide, the hole may be too small. Using the white primer follower and loosening the primer tube housing just a touch should do the trick. Let us know if you make any progress learning your machine.
  3. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

Yes, I did every bit of that mostly with Hornady on the phone while it was being done. The root cause appears to be the cam wire is out of spec. They are sending a new one to see if it will work without modifying the support bracket.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

sounds like amonday morning or friday afternoon built machine... :(