making a gut hook

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by topper, Dec 27, 2009.

1. topper

topper New Member

Would anyone have any information on how to make a gut hook on a folding knife? I have an old fairly cheap single blade folding knife and would like a gut hook on it. I'm not real sure how to go about it. Would ginding the rough out draw out the blade temper? I have a round ceramic sharpening rod for the final edge. The purpose of this gut hook is for small 'tree rats' as it would be easier for me to carry a folding knife instead of a larger fixed blade. The blade length of the proposed gut hook blade is about 2 1/2". Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Would imagine that grinding it would hurt the temper, if i were going to do it I would use a file to cut out the hook then sharpen it. Course you can spend 20 and buy one premade, LOL! Good luck and post some pics when you get done.
  3. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

A round file will work, find one slightly larger than your ceramic rod. If you're friends with a good machinist that will do it for you it'd be easier.
    The file will be a LOT of work on hardened steel, you'll probably be better off just buying a knife with one already equipped.
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Your gut hook wll be exposed when the knife is closed.
    Better to just blunt the tip of the knife.
  5. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I have never found them to be very effective for any size critter. For larger game like deer, the only ones that work really at all (to me) are the T handled ones with a much larger hook.
  6. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Remington makes a folding knife, one blade gut hook, one blade skinner. That gut hook will open a hide on a hog/steer/deer/rabbit/chicken/goat/lamb and cat (don't ask!) like a well oiled zipper!! Seventy bucks, but man, you don't knick a gut, I can't get the hang of those that are on the back of a fixed blade, this is the one to get!!!
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

about 1 3/4" back from the tip of a standard buck knife make a small mark

figure the central line of the blade ( where it looks parrallel to your eye)

and mark a line at about 30 degrees running to the front of the blade

with a triangle file, start filing a few strokes at a time to mark the line as deep as you can

and go about a inch along the blade doing this

( remember this is for a 5" bladed Buck style knife , you'll have to adjust all these measurements to suit your own blade , if you try this with a 3 " blade your top the end clean off ;) )

and do the reverse side

then with a 3/8" dia round file go along the line until you get the desired depth of hook get a small arkansas stone and finish as you would any blade
    ensure you go past the line made with the triangle file to ensure a smooth hook or it'll be hard to clean and you'll get corrosion in the angle

hope this helps

cheers

jack

PS if your up to to annealing a blade and retempering it let me know and what grade steel the blade is and i can advise you a much better way

cheers