Making/hardening gun screws

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by crazycrawler, Jan 31, 2009.

1. crazycrawler

crazycrawler New Member

Anyone out there make their own gun screws? Any tips/suggestions for case hardening screws?

Crazycrawler
  2. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

This goes back a long time to a machine shop class in college. To case harden a screw ya heat it up with a propane torch and put it in sugar. Make sure you cover it in sugar. This was supposed to be a way to case harden a screw. Hope this helps.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

If you are using mild steel there is a product called Casenit, or Kasenit. Heat the part cherry red and dunk it in the hardner.
    If you are using high carbon steel (like drill rod) hardening and tempering is a whole other ball game.
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

What I have successfully done in the past, in a pinch without drill rod.....use a grade 5 bolt of enough size to allow you to cut the screw on the lathe. It is not hard enough to keep you from turning it down, but much tougher and harder than mild steel. I have done this several times with good success. Hope this might help, Kirk
  5. crazycrawler

crazycrawler New Member

Thanks guys. This is damn good info. I never heard about the "sugar" trick but I am going to experiment. Turning down a higher grade bolt is a good idea too.

C_crawler :D
  6. crazycrawler

crazycrawler New Member

Bounced the sugar idea off some guys in the shop. They never heard of doing that except for one old-timer. Sugar is allmost all carbon and will draw carbon molecules to the surface.....sounds like a Mcgyver....I mean Mcgrubber thing.:p
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

If I am not mistaken,

It is also flamable, burnable, if heated to the flash point. Kasonite is not and is also carbon bearing. If you try sugar be very carefull and do not get burned. Have a lid to the container you use and be very carefull. Kasonite is not that hard to find at a welding shop or metal fabrication supply store. It is the correct way I believe, and personally I would not use sugar for this task...I do not like to be hurt, and nor do you I would bet. Just my thoughts. Best regards Kirk