The Firearms Forum banner

Malfunctions, first batch of reloads

3K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  rhyga 
#1 ·
Here is all the info i can think of.

hodgon hs7.

reloading guy at on target says 5.5 to 6.5 gn. I am at 6 gn. According to speer its 8 to 8.9 gn. Something doesnt seem right as that would overflow in the 9mm case. Sierra lists HS-7 for 125 9x19 loads, at a charge range of 6.2-7.4max. both of these are for jacketed bullets, i'm using cast and 6 gn of the hs-7

124 and 125 gn cast bullets. the grove lube ones are a little bit on the short side. The tumble lube bullets are within the spechs for 9mm i found online. a little shorter than factory rounds, i cant really adjust those much as the crimp is right on the top groove.

FNS and S&W Shield. 1 mag ran perfect in some other S&W.

I am getting steady load drops from the dillon.

groove lube bullets are at 1.075, tumble lube are at 1.112. once through this batch i wont have any more groove lube rounds, half of the last groove line is showing above the crimp.

The crimp is exactly what my defense rounds are.

bullet dia is perfect

cases tumbled in corn cob media

cases lubed by spraying them a time or two with lanolin alcohol and hand tumbling them.

They worked for the most part in my fns. about 1 in 15 failed. I had some stovepipes, a couple that seemed to just not extract, the extractor was still holding the rim. maybe a failure to feed or two.

My wifes shield however, seemed to fail 1 in 5. mostly failure to feed and failure to eject. one stove pipe.

It also seems that there were a couple that did not burn all of the powder. one of the ones shot but the case still in the chamber seemed to have a few flakes, and i saw a few flakes in the slide. is this normal? might have been a bullet or two with a flak or two stuck to it.

The top end of what i was told by an old reloader is in the 6's, as well as another book. so im going to test fire a few at 6.1 and 6.2 gn.

ty for help

See less See more
#3 ·
The one suggestion that I will make is try again doing every thing you did the first time WITHOUT spraying any lube on the cases. I personally think the spray lube is contaminating the powder you are using. I have never (NEVER) found the need to lube a 9mm case, or any handgun case for that matter!!

I have never heard of "on target" but he is pretty close to what the Hornady manuals says, they say 5.6 to 6.4, the Speer manual does call for 8 to 8.9 of HS7. The Lyman manual doesn't even have a load using HS7.

I will stay with my original suggestion, drop the spray lube!!!

#11 ·
As you stated, the Sierra load data is for jacketed variety with HS-7 and you are loading cast variety if I read this correctly. I can only find HS-6 for other cast grain data in my books so I can't help. The Sierra Edition V 7th printing p735 does make some good points: 9mm is a high pressure cartridge. Small changes in component combinations can result in significant pressure increases (the assumption would be vice versa for drop). Sierra also recommends a firm taper crimp. Loads less than minimum are not recommended. The Hodgdon site only references HS-6 and not HS-7 that I could find for your 125gr bullet. The burn rates and VMD's aren't close in the manuals. Unless you find a manual to use the HS-7 with cast, you might email or call the Hodgdon CS tech support and ask them.
-
I don't know how clean that powder burns but a couple of the pix's show some dirtiness. May be a couple of the folks can tell something from that if HS-7 is supposed to burn clean.

#12 ·
roGD pix is from one book/one caliber page 5. Note the oal differences from your 1.112 and the diameter of the bullet. Another difference form the OB/OC is they state a light taper crimp p1 since it headspaces on the mouth of the case (difference from the Sierra manual). I use a light crimp and mine shoot fine with what I reload 9mm and my oal isn't varying in the mag.

#17 ·
Thanks for the image. reads perfectly. seems I am right in the middle of what i should be at. 6gn. so, if its not the ammount of powder, what else could it be? could it really be the lube contaminating the powder? my wifes S&W shield must have tighter tolerances. as it jams much easier (never on manufactured ammo).

#23 ·
Yea, me too. Course, im new to it. Tried getting help ant survivalistboards, tho they seem to care more about flaming new people than actually helping. gunloads never seems to stay up for more than 5 minutes at a time. so at this point, im not really sure what to do.

#24 ·
Taking a wild punt that may be you can better answer than my question here but there is another post about 9mm bulge cases. Not saying this is your problem, but could some of those cases be bulged? It makes sense about a case not inserting, but once inserted by force, would the bang reform the bulge so it would extract ok or may be not and cause the extractor to not pull hard enough to get the case out?
-
Another punt here: Measure the OAL, fire a round and measure the oal of the remaining rounds in the mag to see if they are changing. Re-insert in the order they came out and fire the next round and repeat measurements. May be the OAL is changing enough to not feed correctly. For a 9mm with regular load, a light crimp should suffice but if lube was there, may be not. Like I said, just punting here. I forget but do the same rounds work in a different gun?

#27 ·
If you have a Lee FCD, use a smaller case like a 223 case to push it thru the FCD (first remove the Lee FCD sleeve and top) and catch it in a plastic pop bottle. When the bottle fills up, just empty it. Lee makes a Bulge Buster but it's just a FCD and a nicer plastic catch basin with a nice push thru. I forget who, but some one on this forum suggested the 223 and pop bottle. I already had the bulge buster kit so I use it's pusher and plastic catcher. ---Here is a good place to use that lube prior to the push ---

fyi, 9mm cases are tapered. the bulge changes the dynamics of the case and pressures. How much can be answered by some folks on this forum who are still sharp about those kind of dynamics.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
thats what they told me over at ************. tho, with a moderating team of conspiracy theorests that troll the boards the same as any other member, i doubte much correct information is being given.

at the mouth/crimp im at .378
at the base of the bullet im at .378
The middle before the bottom of the bullet im at .373
near the rim im at .386

so, maybe its not a bulge as much as the case is a little skinnier just below the bullet

#29 ·
Now that's just plain weird. At the mouth you should measure .380" and the same at the base of the bullet, give or take a little. Your .378" is fine, well within safe tolerances or measurement error. But lower down it gets strange, since that case should taper up in diameter until it reaches .391" near the bottom, just forward of the extractor groove. Do you have another resizing die you could try? Your middle diameter is much too small, and though the .386" rim might work, it's far smaller than the spec of .394".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.