Mama San!

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Gunship
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 3:12:00 pm)
    | Del All Mama San!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had been sent to Ca Mau, the end south of the south VN province around end ‘69, to learn Gunship with US Navy .. and they had been used UH-B for Gunship that time..
    This flight division names Tar Heel (sp), only I can remember is their emblem with picture of Evil Man.. fighting with “big fork”.??
    Here the story, from Dan my trainer, he’s senior Gunship Pilot (like Dap22), he’s also a flight leader.
    Every after day, went back barrack, laundry always ready real neat on table in each room, clothes well clear, even all flight uniform was like dry clean with well iron.. doing real good job by “Mama San” : American GI language called for lady maid.. The problem is Mama San always asked more soap, why it ran out so fast everyday, Dan thought maybe she used too much soap for washing.. that why people complained they got so itchy sometimes likely.
    So one on standby day, Dan try to tell her the problem for using too much soap, .. unfortunately >>>> she was washing with hole bunch of clothes about 50 to 60 items only with some tea spoons soap.. where is the soap??
    The last part of story I didn’t want to ask Dan..
    He only has big laugh and told me.
    With Mama San , good man Dan, still bought soap for her but tell her to use the big cup, not spoon.. aaahaha.!!
    With the Pilots: Dan told them this story “Not that kind of itch” … they all felt more itchy.. after that. Heheheh !!
    Where ever you are, missed you , good luck Dan..
    GS.

nighthawk
    (10/19/01 6:56:56 pm)
    | Del Re: Mama San!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now I wonder where all that soap went,,,,,????

dreamcatcher27371
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/19/01 7:38:48 pm)
    Ok Hieu,

Oc cua toi cham that la cham hom nay
    (My brain is really slow today)

Explain.

Where did all the soap go?
    Why were they all itching?

Dung

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (10/19/01 7:52:25 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mama San!
    Hieu:
    Where did the soap go????

Didn't realize the Navy was still using B models at that time!! You couldn't carry a full load of rockets with a full tank of fuel on a hot day could you??????

oneknight
    (10/20/01 2:56:20 pm)
    Gunship,

Where did the soap go?????

hope6970
    (10/21/01 11:50:22 pm)
    Gunship,

My Mamasan didn't care too much for boot polish, she had a habit of using it very sapringly but she did however love that spray starch. The stuff that came in the red and white cans. If I can remember it was called Sta Flo or Sta Puff or something like that. I don't know what she did with it but she always seemed to be out. - Hope

longshot1
    (10/22/01 8:19:21 am)

Maid service! Soap! Running water! Pressed clothes!
    It continues to amaze me how the same country was so different for all of us

Dap:
    We flew all B models. My recollection is that a gun ship and/ or hog ship with a full load of ammo and fuel often and I mean way too often had to be bounced along the ground to get airborne. As you can imagine,barbed wire in the skids if long enough to reach the tail rotor was not a good way to start the day.If we just got too heavy, we kicked the reporter out and get on with the business at hand. God I loved
    throwing them out.

NickG

Edited by: longshot1 at: 10/22/01 9:21:09 am

Gunship
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/01 9:01:19 am)
    | Del > Mama San!
    Just like you are my friends:
    I asked Dan "Where the soap go?.." he answered me:"Very simple, she took these soap to black market for $$$, .." "Itchy, not because they thought washing with too much soap, but It's almost without soap.. "
    Your mind must be so far & not clean about the itch & the soap.. or may be my English.
    Yeah right!! Me too my friends, "unhealthy mind sometimes". aaaahahahahah .. same dirt* oldy!!

Dap22 & NickG, yes Navy used UH1-B that time.. We always had very hard time for take off, with full loaded..
    We used UH1-H later for our GS, It's bigger, stronger and 14 rockets , but B somehouse is looking more Gunship than D or H..
    NickG, everthing's fine ovethere.. Cold weather's comming, your "Go South" is ready .. right?
    Have a good day even monday, my friends.

GS.

dap22
    (10/22/01 9:27:57 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: > Mama San!
    Ah.....the black market! Used to see the "cowboys" riding their Honda 90's and 125's with aviator glasses and nomex gloves on.........and we couldn't get either of them!!

Nick/GS.........I didn't fly B models in VN but flew them plenty back in the states..............very, very difficult to autorotate with a B model and A model for that fact! Had to be the 44' rotor blade versus the 48' of the H model......had very little residual pitch at the bottom.

longshot1
    (10/23/01 10:16:30 am)
    | Del Re: > Mama San!

Jesus Dap, took that trip many times (autorotate). If I would have known that about B models I would have been a whole lot more scared, as if shitless wasn't enough.

NickG

dap22
    (10/23/01 10:27:33 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: > Mama San!

Hey, it could have been from my poor technique!!!!

longshot1
    (10/23/01 6:23:08 pm)

Dust off pilot. Doubt your technique was ever a problem.
    Of course the cajones might have sometimes got in the way. lol

NickG

dap22
    (10/24/01 9:34:28 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mama San!

Thanks but I assure you it was the blindness of youth!! Found that out as I was still flying into my 40's and lost some of the daring and abilities as well.........it's a fleeting thing!