Man arrested for threatening Obama

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Rodman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Rodman

Rodman New Member

Man arrested for threatening Obama
    Morgan resident had military background, was ‘disgruntled,’ police say

By Jenni Vincent / Journal staff writer POSTED: June 2, 2009

BERKELEY SPRINGS - Morgan County Sheriff Vince Shambaugh said Monday that a local man has been arrested and charged with making threats against President Barack Obama.

Dale Meadows, of 12311 Valley Road, Berkeley Springs, was arrested without incident on May 21 after his department was contacted for assistance by two U.S. Secret Service agents from Charleston, Shambaugh said.

At that time, the agents' requested assistance in locating Meadows and serving an arrest warrant, he said.

While the details of Meadows' alleged actions have not been made public, Shambaugh said that his prior military background may have played somewhat of a role.

"Evidently he had been disgruntled with the Veterans Administration and some other veterans' organizations. And for whatever reason, it went to the point of him making threats," Shambaugh said.

"I don't know the details of his actions, but it must have been credible enough for probable cause for a warrant for whatever he'd said or done," he said.

When his name was run through the system, Meadows was not found to have any previous history with law enforcement, Shambaugh said.

A SWAT team was assembled and team members met at the sheriff's office with the agents to conduct a briefing before going to Meadow's residence, which was located 12 miles south of town, near the Virginia line, he said.

"We took extra precautions because he is a veteran and has had weapons training, so we felt it was better to err on the side of caution," Shambaugh said.

There were several people in the house when law enforcement arrived and an elderly woman opened the door, he said.

They found Meadows in bed and he was taken without incident at about 1:45 p.m., Shambaugh said.

Meadows was then taken to the Eastern Regional Jail, where he was interviewed by the federal agents, he said.

This is the first time his department has served an arrest warrant for the Secret Service, Shambaugh said.

However, Shambaugh had assembled the SWAT team three years ago and team members received their training in Philadelphia, he said.

Dealing with the federal authorities is different at some levels, Shambaugh said.

"For example, it's just now that we've been able to release the information about this incident or talk about it," he said Monday.

- Staff writer Jenni Vincent can be reached at (304) 263-3381, ext. 138, or jvincent@journal-news.net
  2. alhefner

alhefner New Member

Hmmm...a SWAT team because he was a vet who had firearms training??? gee, I guess the several million vets, including myself, should always be thoughht of a dangerous and met with SWAT?

More total stupidity in my opinion. The administration is unable to trust the people they send off to fight ad die in foreign lands. The administration is unable to trust the very people who elected them to office. Just who will the administration ever be able to trust?

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, among others were pretty paranoid too.
  3. topper

topper New Member

seems like everyone is 'jumpy' nowadays. i think they are doing it themselves. sorta making a mountain out of a molehill, if ya get my meaning. i suppose we people have been told of all kinds of dangers lurking about for so long and now we want to close any kind of potential problems before they arise. but at what cost? are we getting like the boy who cried wolf? no contingency exists to cover all problems all the time, but just give the government more time and they will have a solution to everything.

Keep both barrels loaded!
  4. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

It doesn't say how old he is but being an "elderly woman" opened the door and he was in bed, it sounds to me like they were taking on a fiesty old WWII vet.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Fellow should have known that anyone making threats toward a president is subject to arrest, just to be on the safe side, and I feel this policy is a good one. This process is 'nothing new'.

Disgruntled morons are nothing new, either.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

A lot of armed and dangerous people out there
  7. FM258

FM258 New Member

JHC a SWAT team?

How about a visit by a LEO and enquire what its all about? We all say and sometimes post things we dont really mean...out of anger or frustration.

Its nice to know that the authorities think of us Vets as armed and dangerous....we are.
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Exactly right. People have to know as tempting as it may be to vent in this way, you can not threaten the president of the United States. The people charged with his protection simply do not play around.
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark

Can't be stated much better or more simple.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The Secret Service does indeed take their job of protecting POTUS seriously, including the current occupant of the White House (note that I cannot use the term "President" in this case, nor can I use the words "President" and "Obama" together as he is a foreign usurper).

However, I think that this is setting a dangerous precident. When the sheriff says they needed a SWAT team for the only reason that the guy was ex-military it does not bode well for all of us that are ex-military. Soon, I imagine that they police will be calling out SWAT teams on ex-military people, even if they are just going to knock on the door to ask questions. We already know that the feds consider ex-military to be dangerous (probably having something to do with that oath that we took), and this incident allowed the feds to kill two birds with one stone. One, they arrested someone making threats against Obama. Two, they were able set precident and demonstrate to the "fair and impartial" media and the gullible citizens that ex-military gun owning types are indeed dangerous and are indeed right-wing extremists. And by extension they further their message that all who do not support Obama are a possible danger.

Get ready, it's going to get bad soon.
  11. FM258

FM258 New Member

JFK would disagree.

Im against threats to the POTUS as well, I just dont agree with the SWAT team.
  12. FM258

FM258 New Member

That is very well stated.
  13. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

"When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyrany." Thomas Jefferson. Looks like we may be approaching the swap over point.
  14. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Approaching?!!?!
  15. 45nut

45nut Active Member

uhmmmm........ we passed that point sometime in the last 2 years. Some would say earlier, others say later. The point is, we are now sliding down that slippery slope into the abyss of tyranny.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009