Man Hurts Himself Trying to Loosen Lug Nut -- With a Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Nov 13, 2007.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Man Hurts Himself Trying to Loosen Lug Nut -- With a Shotgun

What's this?SOUTH KITSAP

A 66-year-old man shot himself in both his legs Saturday afternoon while trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Kitsap County sheriff's deputies were called to the residence on the 10800 block of SE Olympiad Drive at 2:57 p.m. after the shooting was reported to 911 emergency dispatchers, said Deputy Scott Wilson, a sheriff's office spokesman.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue medics treated the man at the scene. He was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. Wilson said his injuries were "severe but not life-threatening."

Deputies at the scene reported the man blasted "double-ought" buckshot at the wheel from "arm's length," Wilson said.

The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris. Some injuries went as far up as his chin.

The man had been repairing the Lincoln Continental for two weeks, and had removed all the lug nuts on the right rear wheel except for one.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said, who did not know how long the man had been trying to free the lug nut.

The deputies did not take a statement from the man beyond what they were able to gather while he was being treated by medics.

"I don't think he was in any condition to say anything," Wilson said. "The pain was so severe, and the shock."
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

lug nuts can be infuriating but this is just plain stupid.:rolleyes:
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Did he ever hear of HEAT?????:eek: OR put a helper pipe on the wrench and use a bigger hammer until the nut broke loose or the stud broke, or else use a TORCH and cut the nut off and then replace the stud for a buck and a half?????

I'm sorry, I've had MANY "mechanical problems" ALMOST stump me in my life, and a FEW times I felt like putting a round between the headlights of some vehicles to "put them down mercifully..."

But using a SHOTGUN and OOB? From "arms length???" As a "TOOL,", on ANYTHING????:eek:

Well he lived, and at 66 I guess sterilization if it happened doesn't really matter, so CLOSE, but still no "Darwin....":p
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:eek: I give the guy a Darwin Honorable Mention Wannabee. :eek:
  5. cec

cec New Member

The article missed the most important piece. Was the Lug nut removed?

I figure he went through a lot of pain here, I want to make sure it was worth it.
  6. cec

cec New Member

We can also start a discussion about what is the best caliber to remove lug nuts.

The potential is here.

While the shotshell does give the best coverage, I do not think it has the focused energy needed to remove a stubborn lug nut.

I am also thinking most pistol rounds would not have the desired effect.

I would think you need to go in to the high caliber rifle rounds.
  7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Ak-47 OR 45-70
  8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I would think a .308 @ 100 yds would be safe for the shooter! :)
  9. cec

cec New Member

Those are all good options. If you want the cool factor, go for the .50 cal sniper rifle. From that distance, should be no backwash of shrapnel, lug nut, tire, wheel, hub, brakes, any anything else to get in the way.
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Before anybody else repeats the OLD joke, I might as well say it...:cool:

He should have used a Mosin Nagant....

...they make GREAT pry bars....:cool:
  11. Lilly

Lilly New Member

WTF???? Idiot
    Lilly
  12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

What kind of choke was he using?
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

To be so upset as to put one's life in danger over a lug nut? Incredible! He's lucky to be alive. I have no idea of the setting this took place in but was it possible he was putting anyone else at risk? Anyone vaguely familiar with firearms realizes the ricochet danger of shooting metal objects to say nothing of doing so at point-blank range. It wasn't much different than him declaring "I'm so pissed off at this lug nut that I'm going to shoot myself over it." I feel like he fired the shotgun more in anger than in thinking it was a logical tool for the job.

Now, I realize that this doesn't make the guy a felon but I think a good question to be asked is this. With a temper and mindset like that is he the kind of person who should be in possession of firearms? I mean come on, is he all there upstairs?
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  14. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Dang! When I learned to weld an L-bar to a lug, then put a steel "cheater" pipe over the bar for leverage to break the nut...all that work and I coulda just shot myself in the legs to get the lug off lol:cool:
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Any caliber with a hexagon barrel...

Crpdeth