Man...is rapid weight gain painfull....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Mar 20, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Having been laid off the last couple of months along with sleeping all night as well as a better part of the day....coupled with eating like a horse "my only real exercise" can really add to a persons gut quick!!!

I can just feel all that fat pushing on my ribs trying to find a place to expand to......and the skin on my pot belly is so streatched that its almost shiney like someones bald head......

Yep, I knew it was time to try and loose weight when i was driving my car the other day, "which needs a front end allignment because it shakes a little at 25mph"...and those ol manboobs were shakin bad enough to make me aware that they were there...... I had to say to myself...this is ridicilious...its past due time to loose weight......AND get a front end allignment !!!

Looks like I'm gonna have to give the old atkins diet a try.....

mike
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  2. mameral

mameral New Member

Just be careful there are no quick fixes. Several people at work have had good results with the Atkins though. Good luck.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Mike, my uncle goes by Atkins with good results, but personally I dont like remembering all the do's and donts of a diet....It sounds tough at first, but when I need to shed a few lbs I dont eat anything after 3:00pm... I feel this keeps the ol' metabolism working, while I dont carry the stuff to bed with me. After a few days you really get used to it, I sleep much better too, no bloated belly, heartburn ect to deal with. I'm weird, but thats the way I do it.

~Donny
  4. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Atkins is only a temporary solution and those who have been temporarily successful on it, have gained the weight back due to the fact that the body needs carbohydrates, it is therefore prudent to control one's intake of carbohydrates rather than eliminate them alltogether.
    It is all the more important to live a healthy and hearty lifestyle coupled with activities befiting a gentleman, ie. gainful employment(if not retired), If retired, then a greater emphasis should be placed on civic duties, fatherhood, hunting, etc,etc.
    It is of course much easier to say all that , and doing it is harder, but we must try to do this. It is the solution for a healthy and hearty lifestyle befiting the spirit of America.
  5. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

see what happens when ya shoot a glock...( me ducking and running out of the room)

seriously glocknut get the book and read it first so you understand what is going on. the no carb part is temporary (induction phase to get your metabolism kick started) then you introduce carbs back into your diet in low amounts.
    I will be starting atkins in the next 2 weeks if I can get finished reading the book.
    best of luck to you and stick with it

slugger
  6. Greg

Greg New Member

Glocknut, you are not alone!

Glocknut,

I too, feel your pain. I have had a job since I was 15 years old, of one sort or another, and I was recently laid off at a place where I had worked for 13 years in a pretty high position, very loyal service, and contrbutions that saved the company millions of dollars. In that 13 years, I probably actually gave over 20 years of my work time and life to the company. I really feel for all of the other employess and their families as well. They are closing where I worked, and starting a new operation in China.

I'll let you figure out how to work on your weight for what you think is best for you. However, there are things you can do during this time of unemployment. Just remember, you can do something constructive every day to benefit yourself or others, if you really want to. In fact, to get better, you have to.

1) Set up a routine, of some kind, for each and every one of your days (other than your job search). You need to have a reason to get up out and of bed every day. Sleeping in, and letting depression get the better of you, will hurt your mind, body, and spirit. Whatever you do, don't feel like a failure, or less of less of a man, because you don't have a job. A part of this routine can be exercise (even if it is just going out for a walk). Make a list of things you want to do to improve yourself. Maybe it is reading, maybe a hobby, maybe figuring out how to work out that forgiveness issue you mentioned on another post. You need to figure out how to get your physical, mental, and spirtual well being balanced.

2) This can be a blessing. When you have a job, usually you are so focussed on your job, and your obligations, that you didn't take the time to figure out what it is that you really want to do and enjoy. If you don't like yourself, no one else is going to either. Take the time to figure out what it is that you are good at and really enjoy. Then start researching what it would take to make a possible career move into something new. Maybe you want to go back to school. I am strongly looking into moving into the medical field now.

3) If you had a 401K, or a retirement plan, many times an employer will only give you "x" number of days(usually 30-90 days) to roll your money over into a different account, or the money stays in the account it was in, and you have nothing to say about it. Consider rolling it over into an account that you can control.

4) Get all of your paperwork in order (for example, do you have a will, and is it up to date?). If you have files, get them all organized and cleaned up. Do a home inventory for your insurance if you haven't had the time to do it yet in your life.

5) Get the place where you live fixed up on what you can afford. Feeling good about where you live helps, and gives you something to do. If you are married, get out that "honey do" list, and start to get some of them done, and help out around the house. Having the home environment improve, and seeing things kept clean will, really helps out the relationship if this is something you didn't do much before. I easily made a list of over 100 things that I could do, and was amazed at how much I let some things slip around the house, and in my personal health. Make sure to some little "something special" once in awhile for your significant other (if you have one). Thinking about what you can do to brighten up someone elses day will make you feel better about yourself, and be a much easier person to like, and to live with. There is nothing more unattractive than a negative attitude, so try and stay positive, and make positives. If not for yourself, then for someone else.

6) Review all of your insurance, and see if you can reduce the costs in anyway. For example, do you still pay for more miles of driving to work rate, or can you reduce that now. Can you increase deductable amounts. Do this with all of your current costs (do you really need cable or direct TV?, do you really need all the magazines you may get?, do you have a home phone and a cell phone-do you need both? Can you get your property tax lowered, etc. Do you need to get life insurance for yourself, now that you don't have an employer? If you smoke, can you quit? Non-smokers pay much lower rates by three to four fold.

7) Consider volunteering some of your time. Helping out others, and seeing the problems they have besides yourself, can help give you a good feeling about yourself. You can help out your neighborhood by helping to set up a neighborhood watch. You can see if your church or school need any help. Being able to contribute really helps you feel better about yourself.

8) Look at your closet, garage, etc. Do you have things you can sell or need to get rid of to get the place shaped up? This is a good way to get some cash as well. Do you have clothes that may help somebody else out?

9) Friends and family. If you have friends or family that you get along with, make sure to schedule some time to spend with them to have some fun. You don't have to be in this situation alone. Can any of them use your help, or any of their kids? Do you have any old friends that you haven't seen for awhile that it would be great to see again? They would probably love to hear from you.

10) The last thing is work related. Besides getting a good resume updated, getting references lined up, and practicing for interview questions (those to answer, those to ask), the last thing is a hard thing to do. Especially so, if you have pride. 80% of the jobs that people get after losing a job are from references or networking. That means contacting all of the people you have met or been exposed to, and letting them know of your situation, and seeing if any leads or new contacts can be made. Sometimes, it is just setting up an appointment with someone, not to ask for a job, but to research their company and industry, and giving you the chance to be a person, face-to-face, instead of just another resume out of a thousand. You would really be amazed at what might actually exist out there that you didn't know about or ever consider. New opportunities gives you hope and a purpose.

I really wish you health and happiness for yourself and your loved ones! Not having a job SUCKS-no doubt about it! You just have to make the best out of a bad situation, and turn negatives into positives. This starts with your attitude about yourself and your situation. Just remember, you are your best friend, or your worst enemy. It is up to you. GOOD LUCK!

If all else fails, maybe you put on a revealing outfit and pose with some guns too(hotmanboobs.com) :) If you don't lose weight, at lease the others looking at the picture can...just kidding.

C-YA....Greg
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Good luck, Mike.

It's time for me too. I can get in my Vette ok but getting out is a pain.

Gotta slim down so I don't have to struggle to get out. 'Course 340 is way to heavy.

berto
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i will start running this week ,used to run 5 miles a day ,and now that i found out there is a genetic gene that my brother has that attack the nerves by being ten pounds over weight ,among diabetes and heart disease in my family i will drop a few pounds this summer
  9. BlackGun

BlackGun New Member

Good luck. Atkins works pretty well. A couple of no brainers though, if you drink real sodas dont, its easy to suck down calories and carbs without even thinking aboutit.
    Water water water drink plenty of it. The induction part is the toughest, but its not that bad. Hershies sugar free candy is not bad. Pork rinds and Beef jerky are a good treat, just read the labels and make sure there aren't any hidden carbs, Ready Whip
    Whiped cream is an excelent desert. Good luck, once you get through the induction it's a piece of cake.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

That whipped cream is good on jello too...not gonna have to work that treat off, thats one thing I try to remember, If I cheat, I'm gonna have to work that much harder later.

~Donny
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've gotta chuckle at you guys.....

Everything in my original post is true, being layed off, weight gain, manboobs and all....but the whole reason i posted the thread was for humerous reasons....I was kind of expecting responses like...Oh God, I did'nt need that mental picture!! and such....
    But instead, you guys get all serious about it... :rolleyes:
    Its getting harder and harder to freak you guys out every day !!
    You should know....my goal is to make you spit your coffee onto your keyboard..... :D :p

Greg.....
    Yep, everything in your post makes sense...you had some pretty good ideas in there.....
    I've got the materials to work on my bathroom, but have'nt found the motivation to actually do anything yet...
    And yes, I DO need the direct tv !!! :D

I work for my dad at the family owned business though, so the most I'm gonna do is go wash dishes for a while until we get an order in....
    And this time of year is not good in this area for finding any type of work....very rural and tourist oriented...

I've had this idea about making pen holders out of our limestone to sell to tourists....but the layer that is the most colorful when polished would have to be blasted out because we are out of stock at the moment...and i don't have the cash to do something like that.......
    I dunno....

mike
  12. Remington597

You could always open a gun shop. That has always been a dream of mine.
    There are several gun shops in my town, one of them is an authorized Glock dealer. Can you imagine if you opened a gun shop. Half(or more) of the inventory would be Glocks.:D .
    You could also develop your own accessories and market them to law enforcement throughout the world.
    I am not being sarcastic. When I visit the gun shop and many of the owners are good friends, I am always envious of them and how much fun they have. I feel like a kid in a candy store. I enjoy my job, but its not a passion or a hobby. Can you imagine if your hobby was your full time job. I can only dream.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

It takes money to open a gun shop........

Not to mention most guys buy their stuff online these days.....

Yes, it would be heavy on the glock side....
    I would do it with the "high end" theme in mind...
    No entry level stuff......everything would be customized....all revolvers and 1911's would be customized by Wilsons....
    I would also have an in shop gunsmith on hand who would be available to do any work needed....and an indoor range for zeroing scopes.......

Yep....all that if i ever win the lottery !!!!! :D

mike
  14. Remington597

You could always seek employment in a gun shop.
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yep....thats the "bummer" about dreaming of winning the lottery....

Eventually I have to come back to reality... :D :( :mad:

mike
  16. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Don't listen to the naysayers who will tell you Atkins doesn't work, or that it's only temporary. It works. I lost 31 pounds on it. I feel great, and I'm in excellent health. I've been doing it since September 2003. I eat as much as I want and don't even count carbs any more. I just know what not to eat or drink. And to be honest, all that carb-laden stuff is food that made me sick to my stomach or gave me gas anyway. I'm now a fit 128 pounds.

I don't have time to type a lot right now (going to a meeting in a few minutes), but I'd be happy to give you the low-down on the Atkins plan. This is how the human body was meant to eat. The people pushing a low-fat diet obviously don't understand where man came from. We are meat-eaters by nature.

Doing Atkins made me handsome too, LOL. :D