Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by pawn, Mar 9, 2007.

1. pawn

pawn Active Member

Hi Guys,

Like many of you, I am interested in WWII history- in my case I take a particular interest in Russian history during this time period. I would like to recommend Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag to board members with similar interests.

This book provides a 1st hand account of the author's short time in the Russian army and his subsequent and arbitrary incarceration to the gulags of Northeastern Siberia.

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Wolf-Surv...3923821?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173491999&sr=1-1

-pawn :)
  2. Pawn, you might also try Stalin: A Biography by Robert Service. It's about the best analysis of Stalin's life I've ever read.
  3. pawn

pawn Active Member

Thanks Pistolenschutze, I have read Robert Service's Biography of Stalin and I agree, a comprehensive view of Stalin's life and a great book.

Koba was a cunning strategist who's rise to power is as interesting (at least to me) as it is vile. Opposing this man was both foolish and fatal. He also "cleaned house" in what became predictable intervals- Stalin was a ruthless murderer of his enemies, his allies, and his fellow countrymen in general.

Had he not stroked out, I sincerely believe the "Man of Steel" would likely have launched a nuclear assult on the USA.

If only he had become a priest as his mother wished.....
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  4. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

I have a interlibrary loan request in for this book.

Where is polishooter when we need him?
  5. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

I finished reading it today. Amazing. Highly recommended.
  6. pawn

pawn Active Member

Tuttle, I am pleased you also enjoyed this book.

Kind Regards-

-pawn :)