MAN KICKS POLICE DOG...

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Shizamus, May 15, 2003.

1. Shizamus

Shizamus New Member

Man Sentenced To 8 Years For Kicking Police Dog

BRADENTON - A man with a 20-year criminal history will spend eight years in prison for kicking a police dog.

A jury convicted Henry Sailes, 35, of Bradenton of the felony crime of injuring a police dog in February. He also was convicted of obstructing an officer.

Sailes was wanted on a series of warrants in May 2002 when he ran from police and a Belgian Malinois named Jake, who caught him. The dog, a breed of shepherd, was not seriously injured.

Judge Rick DeFuria agreed Friday with prosecutors who argued Sailes should be considered a habitual offender because of his criminal past, which includes a 1995 conviction for burglary and trafficking in stolen property.

Sailes served five years in prison for that crime.

Sailes testified he kicked the dog because he was scared.

``I'm really sorry for what happened with the dog, really,'' Sailes said. ``The dog wasn't going for my arm or my leg. He was going for my face. I didn't want to do it. I had to do it.''
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

So..... the police are justified in shooting our dogs if they even percieve a threat, but we are not allowed to kick their dogs when they attack us and go for the face?
  3. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Charged for kicking the dog is petty. BUT, the man was trying to avoid arrest. He shouldn't have ran. He got what he asked for.
  4. warpig

warpig Guest

hmm police dogs

My limited experience with them has not been promising. We have a dog handler who works for the prision system living in Volin. The dog lives with him.

A resident was walking down the street, not even on the sidewalk. The dog sees her from INSIDE the locked house and proceeds to try to exit the house to attack. The dog was snarling, barking and broke a window trying to get at the lady. Luckily the broken window cut the dog and he stopped the attack.

If this dog ever gets loose the outcome will not be good for the victim or the dog.

I have always maintained that aggresive dogs can not be trusted 100%. I refuse to own one. If ANY of my dogs ever acted aggressive towards anyone they would be exterminated.

My neighbors dog bit a 3 year old kid in the face and then ran down a kid on a bike and bit his leg. The neighbor says the kids were teasing the dog. The first kid was standing and looked at the dog, the second rode by on a public street. I flat out told him I would shoot the dog if it came on my property.

My kids can stick their hands down my dogs throat to get a hunk of meat and the dogs will wag their tail and love it. I see no reason for aggressive dogs. They should be culled from the canine gene pool.

Soryy for the rant.
  5. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

hmmmm.... If the handler can't spend the time to work with or control his dog, then the dog needs someone else. I had a friend who's dog was gentle off duty, but when on duty, he protected the car, his handler and did what he was told. Todd took him to schools alot and let the kids pet the dog and talked with them about what they did. I'd go to Todd's house and see his 5 yr old rollin around on the floor with "Max" and just havin a ball. No fear of being attacked. I guess each case is different
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep!

Same as Warpig said...aggressive ends in bullet!...Had a "Chow" for the first time, 8 years ago...little ball of fur, so cute-n-fuzzy!...as a pup...at 2 years old attacked the springer spaniel (no reason)...tore that dog to pieces...Chow is in "Dog Heaven"...!