Man sentenced in wolf case

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by the morning light, Dec 30, 2009.

1. the morning light

the morning light New Member

2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Hunting with no license and shooting an endangered animal. He got off lucky, I have seen guys lose their guns and trucks fer poachin around here.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We once had a game warden like that.
    But he went after a RICH poacher, and lost his job.
    Now we have the good-old-boy network of game management, which means that anyone born here can do anything at anytime and the warden simply cannot seem to ever catch them at it.
    Poaching in Houston County is RAMPANT, although not QUITE as bad as it was some years ago when 'hunters' would drive around with their guns sticking out the windows of their pick-ups, and blaze away at anything that even faintly resembled any kind of game. Now, the main culprits are those that hunt at night and out of season.
    We have called the game warden with reports so often that he now checks the caller ID before he answers, and will NEVER answer our calls, nor call back to the requests we leave on his answering machine.
  4. ampaterry

Don't get me wrong -
    I have hunted my entire life, from Tennessee to Alaska, and everything from rabbit to bear.
    But SLOB hunters really get my dander up.
    Illegal so-and-so should have spent time in JAIL, not community service, and had all his gear and transportation seized.
  5. the morning light

If the man came across the border from wisc. to Michigan and shot a deer with no Michigan license the fine would not be even close to $25,000. Some people cross borders and don't buy a license because of the expense of buying an out of state license but the fine is not huge for this infraction. It's about shooting a wolf!
  6. zaxx

zaxx New Member

I don't condone illegal behavior anywhere or at any time. But I do understand
    what some call "poaching" others call "self preservation." The case posted in the link given by the OP is most likely not one of self preservation.
    To clueless activists, losing 25 - 50% or more of your new lambs or calves to wolves, bears or eagles may not be a big deal. To those that depend on their livestock herds to put clothes on their kids backs and food on the table, it's another matter. In some parts of the country, waiting for a government hunter/trapper to show up may not be the most prudent solution to the problem. In these areas of the country, the accepted axiom of "shoot, shovel and shut-up" trumps "endangered species." I'm not saying it's right... but that's the way of it.
  7. ampaterry

Zaxx, you make a lot of sense too.
    I know my judgment is effected by the IDIOTS that call themselves 'hunters' in my area.

I used to have stock that I DEPENDED on for food for my family.
    I once set a trap for whatever was getting into the hen-house at night and killing chickens, and caught a red fox.
    They were protected, and I was told that was illegal.

In TN today, ALL snakes are protected.
    Yes, ALL snakes.

On one fine summer day a few years ago, for instance, I had ridden the bike to work, and I wanted to get Judy to go with me on a ride when I got home. I parked the bike by the front porch, sat my helmet on the seat, and went into the house to get her.
    When we came out, I noticed the cats milling around my bike -
    When I picked up my helmet, a chicken-snake was coiled under it on the bike seat. He was only trying to get away from the cats - -
    I shoed them away, picked him up, and carried him to the edge of the woods where I put him down and he scurried off into the timber.

But we have rattlers, water moccasins, AND both Northern and Southern varieties of copperheads here.
    When I see any of these IN THE YARD, he has invaded my territory and he is dead.

But a wolf -
    Man, I don't know.
    They are such a beautiful and noble creature -

I had a buddy in Alaska that was quite a hunter.
    He was out in the woods and spotted a wolf on the opposit side of a little creek, just looking at him. At that time, there was a BOUNTY on them in Alaska, and he could use the money!
    He brought his .270 down on him, and held the crosshairs between his eyes -
    He said the wolf just stood there, looking at him with intelligent curiosity.
    He could not shoot it.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Not to mention that a lot of people have made money sellin' wolf t-shirts at the Stop-N-Go behind the Skoal display. :D ;)

On a serious note, I believe that there's merit to what Zaxx has said. I hear a lot of folks in this area brag that they shoot the squirrels that invade their house's gutters and attics. I remind them that they're hunting out of season and without a license. They don't seem to understand that the game warden would not be sympathetic to their house maintenance concerns. :confused:
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I think wolves are pretty cool.
    My son has a bedroom full of wolf stuff. He loves them.

An old friend of mine once worked for a guy that raised herring in pens.
    When a sea lion started raiding the pens, he made a phone call, and the next day the perp was nowhere to be found.

Carry on.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't know the particulars of this case...but it doesnt matter. I have a hard time viewing the death of a wolf as a bad thing...
    Noble cratures? Oh yeah....right.

Gn
  12. cakes

cakes New Member

No matter how you view wolves, the law is the law. If you don't like a law you should not break it. You should work on getting the law changed.
  13. the morning light

Have you ever heard of Jury Nullification? In this day and age everyone should know what it is! Check this out:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/emal1.1.1.html
  14. cakes

cakes New Member

I wouldn't knowingly break the law and count on jury nullification to find me not guilty.
  15. zb338

zb338 New Member

Just for shooting a Wolf?

Zeke
  16. the morning light

Here's a wolf poll conducted by a TV station in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan:

POLL - Wolf Protection : News : WLUC TV6
    In light of the recent probable wolf attack that killed a dog which was near the owner, what do you think should be done with wolf protection regulations? Leave them protected the way they are. Lighten the protection laws. ...
    TV6 - TV6 News - http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=395712
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  17. ampaterry

Now there is some mention of the wolf killing the guys dog being the reason for him shooting it.

That puts it in a WHOLE new light.

If a wolf comes in to my yard and attacks my dog, it is dead.
    Heck, if a HUMAN comes into my yard and attacks my dog they are dead!

Is that an over reaction?

No it is not.

If anything or anyone attacks my DOG, I will assume they are getting rid of IT so they can get to ME, and I will stop them with deadly force before they get that far.

And with that defense, I do not believe I would ever be convicted.
  18. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

What you say has a lot of merit. Dogs act mostly to protect or make aware to their owners a danger that exists. They would protect you. It's only logical and moral that you would protect them in return.
  19. the morning light

20. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

I think he got what he deserved. He made a really bad decision.....and now he is going to pay for it. It is on the news wires many more people are going to see what happens if they shoot an endangered species in such a manner. I am all for it.