Man shot at gun show.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by howlnmad, Jan 30, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

A vendor was shot at a gun show in Knoxville Tn over the weekend. Apparently a vistor of the show had taken out his concealled carry weapon to show someone. He had removed the magazine/clip but failed to eject the round from the chamber. While handling the 45, it discharged hitting a vendor. I'm not sure of any further details but will search the Knox News Sentinal. I won't be able to post a link because I'm on my phone and don't know how. I will report my findings. Just curious as to how many levels of stupid there are in this.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

All i can say is... The first thing my father told me was, It is always the unloaded gun that accidently kills people. " hey is this gun loaded?" "nope " ok than.....BOOM gess it was.
  5. howlnmad

Thanks Juker. It was WBIR that reported it. I was still half asleep at the time.
  6. cutter

cutter New Member

:eek:Ya can't fix STUPID! Always have slide locked back and Mag out or cyclinder to the side, then anyone can verify it is unloaded.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have said this before. I have display cases full of guns that have never been loaded. Every time I take a gun out to show it to someone, it gets cleared before it gets handed to them. Then, it could go back in the case for 2 minutes and get shown again but it gets cleared again before it gets handed out. This happens EVERY time and not one gun in the case has ever been loaded. It is the same with every single gun no matter what, no matter where. Especially if its a carry piece. I will pull the mag out and pull the slide back and eject the round and then rack the slide back and forth like 4 more times before I hand it to someone and even then the muzzle never gets pointed at anyone.
  8. Juker

Juker New Member

No problemo, figured I'd find it for ya while you were piddlin' round with yer phone. :D
  9. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

This is like that shipwreck in Italy, stupidity trumps all levels of technologically advanced safety systems. Did he vote for Obama?
  10. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

he shot himself, a lesson he won't soon forget. he's damn lucky no one else was injured
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That's the way it should be done. You're a good man.
  12. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I don't get it either...you unload and open the action before handing a gun to someone - or taking a gun from someone.

My wife is just getting into guns and is 'afraid i may shoot myself when cleaning my guns' becuase that's a common 'excuse' (IMO) as to how some fool shot themselves. Then last week she's attending a training on PTSD with first responders and at lunch talks with a LE type that says, yeah, it's possible to do that.

HOW??? You can't clean a loaded gun! And if you shoot yourself unloading it you have issues to the point you shouldn't have a gun in the first place.
  13. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Why in hell are people putting their fingers on triggers? I have only had one dealer suggest I dry fire at a shop, and I did check to see if it was loaded even after he checked it. It's a habit, and an easy one to remember.

I am disgusted.
  14. howlnmad

I can't remember a time that I've handed someone a pistol and the mag wasn't ejected and the slide locked back. Or if it was a wheel gun, the cylinder open. Even with long guns, the bolts are open. It's just second nature.
  15. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Didn't we see a few of these stupid scenarios last year too? Stupid avoidable mess....