mannlicher m1903

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sac550, Dec 5, 2003.

1. sac550

sac550 New Member

My wife just gave me rifle for my wedding present. However, I have never heard of the rifle and can not tell what caliber it is.
    The guy who sold it to her said it was made in 1903 and was worth some money. Can someone give some history on the rifle and tell me what caliber it is, is it worth anything?

stamped on the receiver is "patent Mannlicher Schoenauer M1903" on the left side of the barrel is "oesterr waffenfabr ges steyr" it has a double trigger (dont know how that works). It is a bolt action with a rear peep sight. The action is very smooth. The bluing is in great shape and so is the stock. The serial number is 100xx.

I appreciate any information about this gun that you might know.

Attached Files:

2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Barrel length please. Welcome too!!

LTS
  3. sac550

sac550 New Member

The overall length is approx. 38 inches and the barrel length is approx. 18 3/4
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

What caliber? I assume, from the previous, this is a full stock carbine; if in 6.5x54, it's a jewel! Worth in the neighborhood of 650/1000 US, depending on condition.
    From the photo, the stock is unabused; if the metal is similar, I would like to trade pictures of dead presidents for your wedding present.
    Seriously, in 6.5, it's a GREAT rifle; in 8x54MS, the other common caliber, it's still a great rifle, but a handloading project, from jump street.
    Take a 30 cal bullet, and put it to the muzzle: in 8mm, it ought to fall right on in; in 6.5mm only part of the nose will enter(6.5mm=ABOUT 25 CAL)
    As to the triggers, the front trigger is, after you are on target, pulled til it clicks; this "SETS" the rear, firing, trigger. Properly adjusted, it will let go at two or three ounces of pull. If you do not use/set the front trigger, the rear trigger alone will fire the rifle, at about 4-7 pounds of pull.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Sac550.......welcome to TFF.....

.....and are you a lucky guy! The Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1903 Carbine is one of the great firearms of all time! It is in the 6.5x54mm M-S caliber.

In my personal opinion, it is the most beautiful shoulder arm ever made.

Blue Book value (hold onto your hat!):

98% - $3,500
    95% - $3000
    90% - $1200
    80% - $600

Would you please post a full length picture of it (so I can drool all over my computer)?
  6. sac550

sac550 New Member

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like I got a great rifle. I can not wait to shoot it.

Attached Files:

7. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Nope.

That stock is just not right for the M1903 Carbine, nor is the barrel length. Of course, the pad is modern...

I dont believe the caliber question has been answered. Please list for us ALL the markings on the receiver (particularly the top of the front ring), and a picture of the LEFT side of the receiver would help date the rifle as well.
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you on TFF, sac550.

We have a good bunch with knowledge that is unequaled elsewhere. You'll get your questions answered eventually, if not already.

Hope you will join us often and will post often.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

Sorry, away for the weekend. Doc is right, more information is needed (markings) many of these rifles were sporterized way back and many think that`s how they came. The action looks to be a 1905 model (dual triggers),but the 1908/10 also had them and ones that followed. This rifle came in many calibers, 6.5x54mm being the front runner.....but also made in 8x56mm,9x56mm,9.5x57mm. Just from my somewhat small minded thinking......the barrel sling mount is a dead giveaway (usally) to a larger caliber-ed rifle. Also keep in mind the stock---as Doc mentioned,The Mannlicher/Schoenauer was a full stocked rifle, meaning the stock runs the full length of the barrel. Never fear,still a very fine rifle!!!

The receiver ring and other places will be marked,let us know what the numbers are and we`ll see what we can come up with.

LTS
  10. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome to ya sac550! Don't know "Sheet" 'bout them rifles, but i'll learn with ya!...;)
  11. sac550

sac550 New Member

The only other marking that I can find is what looks like the letters "pv" on the left side of the barrel, right where the barrel sits in the stock. I also noticed the letter "G" stamped on the right side of the bolt, or on the top when the action is open.

Thanks again for the information.

Attached Files:

12. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

OK. The picture is a little dark and there is a receiver sight in place, but the bolt release definitely looks pre-1924. The serial number is far too high to have been made in 1903, though. We REALLY need to know the caliber....

One thing, it has been extensively modified. Definitely affects the value (downward) but it is still a fine rifle.

Please, the caliber?
  13. LIKTOSHOOT

And since the 03 did not come with double set triggers or the butter knife handle....but double set M98 triggers will fit on the Greek M-S model (G?). If no numbers are present on the receiver ring or inside the receiver (left side with bolt removed) or dual numbers on any of the other parts (last two or three of the serial number) This would be a custom rifle built on a 1903 receiver.

LTS
  14. sac550

sac550 New Member

here is another picture of the bolt if that helps.
  15. sac550

sac550 New Member

don't see any numbers inside the receiver when I removed the bolt. The number 10083 appears in two places on the right side of the barrel. One is hidden by the stock. I just figured it was the serial number?? The only other number is m1903, stamped on top of the receiver. I did not remove the stock all the way.