1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nfmMike, Apr 14, 2003.

1. nfmMike

nfmMike New Member

Hello!
    I am not looking for a worth, but a direction to find date of manufacture.

I have a rifle, marked at the top of the receiver:

Made in Austria

Original Mannilicher

Schoenauer

MOD MCA

Kal 30-06

Stoger Arms Corp

This is the rifle, as opposed to the carbine.

Serial number is 55xxx.

I know most of the important information, I got help from a gentleman that found Spec sheets and parts breakdown in the Shooter's Bible #60. What I am looking for, is a way to date the manufacture. I have tried contacting Steyr, but got no answer.

Can you help?
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2003
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The MCA Model (Monte Carlo All-Purpose) was introduced in 1961 and manufacture ceased in 1969 although existing inventory from Stoeger was still being offered (and catalogued in their Shooter's Bible) until around 1971.

An important dating feature on these rifles is the safety location. M/S began using a tang safety on the MCA models in 1963.

Early Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles had a date code stamping beneath the stock line but I dont know if that was continued when production resumed after World War 2.
  3. nfmMike

nfmMike New Member

Thank you for the reply! I did not know what MCA stood for, I learn a little more about this rifle as time goes on.

This rifle has both a tang safety and the wing safety.

There are a few marks in specific spots on the reciever - it looks like 66 or 99, depending on how you look at it, I would guess it to be 66. One could almost mistake it for kongi as there are some other tool marks nearby.

Ok, so after '63 the rifle was produced with a tang safety, and there are tooling marks that look like "66", so I'll go with a best guess that 1966 was the year of manufacture, that is unless Steyr ever answers differently.

Thank you again.
  4. rrbull

rrbull New Member

mike,
    my name is allan, i have the same rifle (mannlicher schoenauer mod mca kal-06. the caliber is 30x06. if your able to get a value please let me know. my email is rrbull
    @ptd.net
    thanks
  5. nfmMike

nfmMike New Member

emai sent Alan.