MANNLICHER SCHOENAUR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by captain501, Feb 25, 2007.

1. captain501

captain501 New Member

New member. I am looking at a Mannlicher Schoenauer, 30-06. Set trigger. Nice wood and metal. Probably overall 95-98%. It has a Jaegger tip off side mount and Zeiss 3.5-10X Conquest scope. No rear sight. Hooded front sight.It is sporter stocked, not full length. In addition to the mauser type safety, it has a sliding safety on the side of the bolt. The asking price is $2,000. Has anyone any opinions on the price for the outfit? Thank you.
  2. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

If you had to come on here to ask, then you already know the answer.

The price is too high unless it is the last one ever made and you were desperate to own it.

In that case you would have bought it and not just been looking at it.

Offer the man a $1000 bucks and make it sound like a lot of money.

If he is serious about selling it, he will.
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Most people want the full stock model, and those in minty shape bring $1200 to $1400. The Rifleman is right, this guy is asking far too much, but $1000 should be a fair price.
  4. Mark

Mark New Member

A lot would depend on the model. There's 1924, 1952, and 1961 MCA. It also depends on the originality of the rifle.
    I've never seen a Mannilcher Schoenauer with 2 safetys, not to say there aren't any, but it does sound like wearing a belt with suspenders.
    A Zeiss Conquest sounds new, did someone replace the scope?

If the rifle would be original, clean, with a good bore, and by original, I mean with the steel buttplate not Bubba's recoil pad, then a 1924 model would be a bargain.

$2000 may be a little high for a 1952, or 1961.

It doesn't sound like you are really knowledgeable on older Mannlichers. The internet is a good place to start learning, I don't know of any really good books on the subject. What I've been doing is tracking rifles for sale. Make a note of the rifle, features, condition, originality, and price. Watch how long something takes to sell. You will never know for sure, because a seller may take less than asking for something, but you can get an idea.

Good luck on this.
    Mark
  5. captain501

captain501 New Member

Thanks for the comeback guys. I can add a little more information. I assumed it have been manufactured prior to 1971, when the name changed to Steyr Mannlicher. It appears to be original, as far as I can tell. Ebony (?) fore end, double triggers, very, very nice figured wood and finish. Polished bolt handle. SN 32618.
    The Zeiss Conquest scope lists for around $640. but can be purchased new for around $450. The one on the rifle looks practically new, with one small ding. The wood has a few dings and scratches, typical of having been hunted, though It does not look like the rifle has been hunted much or hard.
    The Paul Jaeger detachable side mount looks very solid and is nicely finished and blued.Reminds me of the famous Griffin and Howe detachable mount.As I mentioned, the rear sight is missing (perhals removed to accomodate the 40mm scope objective lens.The outfit in with a reputable gun dealer, on consignment.
    Dunno. It seems to me that $1500. would not be unreasonable, considering the scope and mount. The dealer (who is local and reputable) fully warrents the outfit for 2 years.
  6. schmalts

schmalts New Member

If you are interested i know of a mint shape MCA 1961 carbine full stock model for sale. It has the 2 safetys like you describe, double triggers. This gun has only a few handling marks in the wood but the rest of the gun is MINT and looks like it just came out of the box. $1800 takes it
    PM me if interested and i can make sure if it goes on or not. He has someone working on a sale now but it is not over until the gun gets shipped and the guy may back out so you never know.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The grip cap is identical to what High Stadnard used on some of their long guns and the guns they made for Sears. ??