Manual or Manufacture Reload Data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Trek Jeff, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Trek Jeff

Trek Jeff New Member

Where do you lean if the manufacture reload data is different from a load recommendation in a reload manual? Where is the err to caution in this instance?
  2. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Myself I would use the manufacturer, but as with all load data I use it as a reference and not as gospel. There are too many variables out there to say, "Oh, I can use this up to this amount, and I think I will". The same is true from this site or any other. Use as a ref. ONLY.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Trek Jeff:

Most manufactureres publish their velocity data to which the ammo is loaded. But they rarely tell you what barrel length it was shot in, which affects the resultant velocity.

Reloading of ammo should be taken as different from buying factory ammo. That is, you should pick a set of recipes out of a manual, start at the starting load and work up to the max load, watching for signs of over pressure and never load above the level in the manual. You can choose a load level that is not necessarily the hotest load but perhaps the most accurate or a down loaded level to maximise the life of the gun. Duplicating a factory load in velocity gains you nothing as there is nothing magical about the velocity the factory got out of their load developement except probably the highest velocity. And every gun differs as to what load it likes for best accuracy.

A few hundred FPS in velocity is going to make little difference to the game or the paper target. So maximizing for best accuracy in your gun is the thing to do, not match velocities the factory got from their commercial load.

LDBennett
  4. buck460XVR

buck460XVR New Member

In most(but not all) of my reloading applications, the load recipes from manuals published by bullet manufacturers tend to be a tad milder than the load recipes published on the web by powder manufacturers. I assume this is because bullet manufacturers are selling accuracy whereas powder manufacturers are selling velocity.

I generally use at least three different sources of reference before starting a new load and then start with the starting load recipe in the middle of the pack.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In fact, I would trust the bullet manufacturer's data before the powder manufacture's data.

Why? Because the amount of resistance the bullet sees going down the barrel is a function of the design of the bullet. Some bullets create higher friction just by their design. The resistance to motion allows more time for the pressures to build and can result in higher pressures for some bullets of the same weight with equal charges of powder. Admittedly, this is not the general case but you must be aware that it can occur. (some Nosler bullets fall into this catagory and any bullet might).

In any case start with the starting load and work up, but never exceed the listed max load, or continue upping the charge level if you see any signs of excessive pressure. Read your reloading manuals if you don't know what those signs are.

LDBennett
  6. Trek Jeff

Trek Jeff New Member

LD and Buck, that's where I'm leaning towards. I like the data that Nosler prints regarding thier most accurate recipie. I think what I will do is start with thier most accurate mix as my target, and work up to it, seeng what my rifle likes. I'm also learning the the OBL is variable base on the rifling lands of the barrel. These manuals are showing me that I really didn't have a clue on reloading...hahaha

Jeff