Manufacture date of model 96 Swedish Mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BillinNH, Sep 8, 2006.

1. BillinNH

BillinNH New Member

I recently acquired a Swedih Mauser model 96 that has been professionally sporterized. It has, of course, lost all collectible value as a result. However, I bought it for the purpose of using it as a platform for shooting the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge, which I am confident it will do well. The bolt, receiver, trigger, barrel, are original and matching. The barrel has been cut to 24" and recrowned. and everything reblued. The rifling is very serviceable. I am enclosing a pic of the gun as I bought it and a closeup of the receiver.

If I interpret the receiver markings correctly, the gun was originally manufactured in 1899. Can this possibly be true? I can'tbelieve how good it looks considering that it is 107 years old.

Can anyone confirm the date? The serial # is 138xx.

Thanks.

Bill

Attached Files:

2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

That would be a 1899.
    Mfg from 1898 to 1938
    Very accruate and mild recoil
  3. lead

lead Active Member

The Swedish Mausers were built with an attention to detail and quality that have earned them a reputation as one of the best examples of a bolt action service rifle you'll ever find. I've seen a number of 1899's that put new commercial models of hunting rifles to shame.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Crowning a muzzle can be easily done even by an amateur handyman. All it takes is a round topped brass screw chucked up in an electiric drill and a small amount of fine grinding compound. This method is used by many professional gunsmiths.