Marbles Game Getter - legal to possess?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Lanrezac, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

(I imagine this question has been asked here many times, but I have not yet figured out how to search the Forums, rather than Google as a whole. Sorry if this is something I should have been able to find on my own.)

Is a Marble's Game Getter with 15-inch barrels legal to own (at least if it was not "registered prior to the 1968 amnesty" - that is one thing I did find on Google)?

It's kind of a long story, but there was a gun store where I live (Milwaukee, WI) that used to have a variety of weapons mounted high on the walls as decorations. This included some things that must have been deactivated, like an 88mm Panzershreck rocket launcher, and some things that were just neat, like a Hopkins & Allen single shot .22 pistol. Among them was a very early Marbles Game Getter, and there was a long running conversation about whether it was legal if not deactived. It had probably been on the wall since before 1968 - it was an old gun store.

All of these things disappeared when the store went out of business in the late 1990's. Reading up on Hopkins & Allen reminded me of the whole collection, and of the Game Getter in particular. I realize that probably no-one here is a lawyer, but if anyone has a good idea, I would be glad to hear it!

Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It would depend on whether it is smoothbore or not.

As I recall, the Marbles was not a rifle. It was a pistol with a detachable shoulder stock. It came in 410, 22 and (I think) 32/20.

So if it is rifled, and does not have the shoulder stock attached to it, it is a pistol, and a fifteen inch barrel is fine. Completely legal.

If it is rifled and the stock is attached, it is a "short barreled rifle", and is illegal without being properly registered.

If it is smoothbore, whether it has the stock attached or not is irrelevant. It is illegal, unless it is properly registered.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

I think there may be some NFA exceptions or amendments for the Game Getter.
    You might search the ATF web site.
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

I think the Game Getter managed to be both a pistol with a shoulder stock and a short barreled shotgun. The one I recall had a .22 rimfire barrel and a smoothbore .44-40 (?) barrel. I don't remember if the shoulder stock was detachable - I think it was collapsible. It was an early one, I believe, with the hard rubber grips shaped like an old Colt Police Positive's.

Thanks for the help!
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Marble's Game Getter is on the BATFE Curio & Relics list, however it was not removed from the National Firearms Act. Therefore, it must be registered under NFA or it is contraband.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You're right. I was thinking of an H&R Handy Gun.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

They were classified as "Any Other Weapon."
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Whoa! Thanks for setting the record straight. I wanted their H&A single shot very much, and the Game Getter interested me too. Now I am glad I never got the chance...
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

44XL_remington_box.jpg

44XL_remington_cartridge.jpg
  10. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

yes they are in most places. I've bidded on several but they always pass what I can afford

Attached Files: