Marine Side Arm?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by dbltap, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Watched an episode of The Real NCIS last night on the Military Channel, Naval Criminal Investigations Service. A Marine Guard was killed and his side arm was stolen. It was a Colt 45.

Did the Marines not convert to the Beretta 9mm?

Thanks.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) Did it ever occure to you that the crime may have taken place 50 years and they are just now making a show about it.:)
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I am not positive but I thought I heard that some of the marines havent switched over to the 9mm's yet.
  4. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Seals didn't switch.
  5. dbltap

dbltap New Member

It never occurred to me that I needed to be that specific. The bad guys were driving a Subaru Outback Wagon, a red one. I'm certain they didn't have those back then.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

When they are making a low budget TV show they don't need to get the back ground perfect. However I didn't see the show, perhaps it was a low priority installation such as a reserve center or even a training center. Gandog, The Seals are still using 1911's , Are you sure about that??
  7. 1 CAV

1 CAV New Member

The Marine Crops has never stopped using the 1911. It has been their standard issue side arm since WWII.
  8. SARG

SARG Member

Probably still use it ........ but I suspect they indeed did change their "standard issue" to the Italian wonder .....just like the other branches.
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    There may be some few units out there with M1911's but the M9 is in general use. I was in one of the last units to have them back in the early 90's and haven't seen one issued, other than on shooting teams, since then.
  10. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

If you look across the service right now you'll find several types of 1911, Glock, Sig 228 and 226 and 228r and DAK, HK USP, and perhaps some others. And of course the M9, which is about 98% of the handguns in use right now.

There's not much uniformity among the uniformed service these days.:D
  11. 1 CAV

1 CAV New Member

"In lieu of", in other words they modified their 1911's rather than accept the M9. As far as I know the Marines still use the .45.

Here's the link for the info

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinefacts/blm19.htm
  12. Kane

Kane New Member

i was reading in combat arms magazine thAT the marines for the most part switched but want the 45 back hence the hk45 project
  13. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

14. Kane

Kane New Member

id like to point out the exact same thing happened in the war with the phillipines in the 1900s. the army adopted a .38 revolver over the colt 45 but the soldiers soon dumped it in favor of the newly made 1911. the cycle repeats.:p
  15. dbltap

dbltap New Member

The base was Pearl Harbor. The T.V. show is a moot point now.