Marines re military arms and history are they elite?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by wpage, Mar 31, 2010.

1. wpage

wpage Active Member

Most military arms experts agree the US Marines are the foremost elite arms assault troops historically...
    Do you agree?
  2. navis128

navis128 New Member

Why of course, who would doubt it?

Should this be a poll? Just wondering.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    for years and years the marines were always called on first for sea based assaults,they were and are the elite.i joined the corp in 1969 and have since talked to pretty much every branch of the milatary re just boot camp,we had it harder back then than anyone and although its easier now i still think training is more intense in the crotch than any other branch of the service.ther are other branches of the service that are specialized such as seals and special forces but there is still marine recon.i may be a little one sided on this for some reason.......................old semperfi
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I am a big history buff and I agree, the US Marines were the foremost elite assault troops for a LONG time.

These days, they are up there, but there are lots of more specialized groups for things that didn't really exist for a long time. Like the Navy SEAL's, Marine Force Recon, CIA, Delta Force, Green Berets... Basically what one would consider "Special Forces."
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

The Marines Hymn says it all. Air, land, sea, first to fight, etc. It's good to specialize, but also good to know the next man's job, also.
    Yes, I was. Joined 1976.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

Any opinion I would express would be decidedly biased... :rolleyes:

Semper Fi
  7. steve666

steve666 New Member

While I admit to bias the answer is OF COURSE!!!
  8. wpage

wpage Active Member

No Poll required...
    Marines rule elite assault.
    No one else comes close. On this earth!
  9. islenos

islenos New Member

Is that a trick question?:confused:

[​IMG]
  10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

wpage - you trying to start trouble here? Which Military Expert Marines did you Poll? So far every answer have been from Jarheads. Now there's nothin' wrong with the Marines. After all, they are an elite branch of the Navy. Why, the Navy even went to all the trouble of putting Marines on ALL their boats.

They try to train as hard as the Rangers. Shoot, even the swabees who can't qualify as Rangers copy-catted them with their very own Seals. Gotta give them credit. The wing-walkers (Air Force) even gave it a shot. You wanna be a Ranger you gotta join the Army.

(By the way, I'm former Army, and yet the FINEST Officer who ever lived was Gen. Chester Puller)

Seriuosly, EVERY branch has an ultra-elite group within. They are ALL incredibly GREAT. Who is the best? Depends on the mission. Missions vary only as much as the limits of possibilities.
  11. PunjabiPillbox

PunjabiPillbox New Member

I worked with the Rangers.....
    I weren't impressed....
    SEMPER FI JIM!!!:D:D:D:p
  12. islenos

islenos New Member

I was very impressed with the Army Chopper Pilots. They were always where they said they would be and on time to boot.

But I must admit, Rangers are pretty good fighters, much along the same lines as a Marine Motor T Wrench Monkey:eek::D
  13. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You're killing me. You know the Navy calls helicopters "Helos", The Army calls them "Choppers", the Air Force calls them "Whirley-Birds". The Marines point up and call them "Uh-Uh".

Remember, my Brothers - I'M ONLY KIDDING!!!!!!!! (Marine Motor T Monkey Wrench???!)
  14. uzim16

uzim16 New Member

I think Marines,Rangers,Airborne,Royal Marines,Airborne units in CF, Foreign Legion should be the same.
  15. islenos

islenos New Member

what would be the fun in that?:D

AKA Mechanic for Marine Motor Transport Battalion

Every Marine, no matter the MOS is a Rifleman First
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010