Marines re military arms and history are they elite?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by wpage, Mar 31, 2010.

1. big steve

big steve New Member

Yes most definitely the most dangerous weapon is a Marine and his rifle. Semper Fidelis
  2. 199er

199er New Member

I'm an Army vet and yes I agree with the the above, however in the past 30 years combat assault missions (joint and otherwise) have become very unit and mission specific and another group is now on the "Tip of the Spear" with the Marines.

I believe the Marines have a long and storied history as elite assualt troops and it's well deserved reputation is not based soley on amphibious assaults.........it is also based on ground assaults as well. Off the top of my head two come to mind.....the ground assault to retake the city of Hue &the Citadel in TET of '68'. Second one coming to mind would be the ground assault to retake the Iraqi city of Fallujah. So I have to say the Marines are the premiere elite assault force, however, without taking anything away from the Marines, I think they share the "Tip of the Spear" with the Army Special Operations 75th Ranger Regiment. Mass Airborne Assaults (company and multi-battalion size) are their speciality and again, off the top of my head two that come to mind are: The Grenada incursion in 1983 when the 1st Ranger Battalion made a combat airborne assault at 0530 hrs onto Point Salines airfield from a height of only 500 feet (to reduce exposure time to enemy fire but too low to use reserve chute)". Secondly, The 3rd Ranger Battalion made a night combat jump into southern Aftghanistan in October 2001 securing an airfield. This was the initial combat operation in Aftganistan.

Again, my vote is for the Marines as the elite assault military assault force but the Army Special Operations Ranger Regiment has shown itself to on the "Tip of the Spear" as well when called upon to excute it's core missions.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Don't tell any marine I said this but in my opinion the Marines didn't need a special force to add to their arsenal. They were and are a special force.

And I deny I ever said that.
  4. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

actually the most dangerous guy is a scared 18 yr old with a m16 ...
  5. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

or a commie with a ak @ 10
  6. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

army . aint ready for marines yet
  7. jondar

jondar New Member

And Puller's name wasn't Chester, it was Lewis.
  8. Jay

Jay New Member

...and his middle name was Burwell........
  9. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

[​IMG]
  10. steve666

steve666 New Member

The Navy Invented Sex
    A Marine and a sailor were sitting in a bar one day arguing over which was the superior service.
    After a swig of beer the Marine says, 'Well, we had Iwo Jima.'
    Arching his eyebrows, the sailor replies, 'We had the Battle of Midway.
    'Not entirely true', responded the Marine. 'Some of those pilots were Marines, in fact, Henderson Field on Guadalcanal was named after a Marine pilot killed at the Battle of Midway.'
    The sailor responds, 'Point taken.'
    The Marine then says, 'We Marines were born at Tunn Tavern!'
    The sailor, nodding agreement, says, 'But we had John Paul Jones.'
    The argument continued until the sailor comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion. With a flourish of finality he says... 'The Navy invented sex!'
    The Marine replies, 'That is true, but it was the Marines who introduced it to women.'
  11. wpage

wpage New Member

Ah and now there are women Marines...
  12. autodidact

autodidact New Member

I agree with what old grump didn't say. There are smaller possibly more elite units but I'm positive no three words terrorize our enemies as mush as United States Marines.