Mark III Hunter Scope Rings

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by todd51, Oct 13, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

A Burris 4x long eye relief pistol scope has found it's way back to me. It was originally mounted on a Colt King Cobra which I sold along with the scope. The Colt was stolen and he no longer needed the scope so gave it back to me. I am thinking of putting in on my Ruger Mk III Hunter. The Ruger Weaver style base is already on the pistol and I had a spare pair of Weaver style rings but they are the low ones and that would require the removal to the rear sight to clear. I don't want to do that so need either medium or high rings. Are the dimensional differences between low, medium, and high rings standard or are they brand specific? In other words how high is a high ring? Most of the listing I see don't say how much they measure as to changes in height.

Never had any and have never even seen them in real life but are those "Ironsighter See Through" rings worth considering? Would be kind of neat to be able to still use the iron sights with the scope mounted. But I don't want to get that scope too high to where it is not practical.

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I think the see through rings are the rings and mounts as one piece. So the holes would have to match up with those in the gun.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Brisk. That wouldn't work for me as I want to keep the Weaver style base that is already on the pistol and I use that for the red dots I put on there. It was just a thought as I know nothing about those "see through" rings.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Drove over to Gander Mountain today to check on the rings. "See throughs" I don't think will work as the sights would not be visible do to the height of the base of the rings. Checked different mfg. of rings and it seems one mfg. high is the same height as another mfg. I am going to have to use "high" rings to clear the rear sight. They didn't have the rings I need in silver but had them in black. I passed on the black and will order some in silver.

Prices are high at Gander Mt. but the service and assistance I received was top drawer even to the point of taking the pistol back to the shop and fitting some medium rings to see if they would do and confirming that I need high rings.
  5. langenc

langenc Member

Go to the ring mfgs website to see the difference in heights. If that dont tell call their tech services rep. They will gladly help.

Removing the rear is no big deal, I removed my sons so his sight cleared. Just carefull tap it off to the right.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011