The Firearms Forum banner

marlin 1895 guide gun factory sights not accurate

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jacksonco 
#1 ·
:confused:I have a marlin 45-70 guide gun with a 18" barrel the factory sights shoot a foot low with the rear sight adjusted all the way up. I put the front sight post level with the rear sight notch and put the post over my target. Has any one ever experanced this?

#2 ·
I have been shooting my whole life, I qualified expert with the m16 in the military and shot a 4" group the same day at 350 yards with a 30-06. I was using beanbag rests front and rear and it had about a 3/4" group a foot low with factory sights with the rear sight ajusted all the way up. I was using hand loads of 405 grn lfp bullets on top of 46 grn reloaer 7, win brass, cci lr primer. So I would think it was as controled as possible accept I did not have a vice to put the gun in. I have just never heard of factory sights being that off. I am looking at replacing them with the skinner express sights any experiance with those?

#3 ·
Welcome to TFF Freediver; what range were you shooting at? I'm assuming 100yrd, but wanted to verify. Josh will be along before too long, he's familiar with 45/70 loads and will probably have some good advice on this one.

The Skinners sights are NICE ! I'd pull the factory and go with the Skinners, but that's just my .02c.

#6 ·
Why not give Marlin a call and let them know of your situation. It wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

My Guide gun shot well with the factories using remington 405 gr. hey are pretty anemic compared to my home made ammo though. I have nproblems seeing the sights these days and use a 2-7x scope. Old eyes:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.