Marlin 1895g 45/70 opinions?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Aug 18, 2010.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Wel i just bought an 1895g with xs ghost ring rear and post front with a scout scope mounted on the rail with an 18.5 inch ported barrel. I figured it would make a good bear and moose gun for New Hampshire this year and a good hog gun for georgia. Just thought I would ask some opinions and thoughts on this light and well balanced little rifle.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

My friend hunts deer and bore with a 1895 in 45/70. Good gun. I don't think he's ever had a issue with it. Hopefully you have a limbsaver pad. I shot that thing 3 times and I was done. Small mule comes to mind;)
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    my guide gun is my goto i have never failed a one shot kill with this rifle.i use a 505 grain flat point bullet and they do not get up.you can soup this round up if you reload and it will kill anything on earth.i keep a few boxes of hot stuff in case my neighborhood gets invaded by water buffalo or elephants..................old semperfi
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I love mine. I have not killed anything with because I haven't hunted in nearly 20 years. That may change this fall. I am considering putting a few WV whitetail in the freezer. I use 405 grain rnfp cast bullets in mine. I load them from mild to wild. The wild ones are really hard on the body. It is 1.5 MOA accurate with the right load.
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I'll jump in to echo what Helix FR has said; they can be brutal. I quickly acquired a flinch after shooting my buddy's Winchester several times.

I have a 45-70 pistol barrel for my Contender. Don't remember for sure, but I think I got it in some sort of package deal with some other barrels. Anyway, I've never used it cuz it scares me just to look at it. Every once in a while I get the urge, but then I come to my senses. If I do give it a try I guess I'll start with cowboy action loads.
  6. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

I not too long ago had the very same .45/70 rifle vs. handgun recoil opinion that you do. I had had my shoulder beaten up a bit with some moderately hot loads in the Marlin 1895 .45/70 and really had no desire to have my hand web bloodied with some massive pistol recoil. Then I got a T/C .45/70 SS ported hunter barrel for my SS Contender and found the .45/70 to be a quite pleasant hand gun round. I was most pleasantly surprised along with the other two shooters that were shooting with me. It was surprisingly pleasant shooting. Candidly, I today enjoy shooting warm .45/70 cartridge loadings more in pistols than I do in rifles. And to respond to the question of the OP, the Marlin 1895 is just about the very best possible way to launch a highly accurate .45/70 round at large game animals from close in brush out to 150 yards. The rifle is absolutely 'bullet proof', (but the Contender is also super nice.) :)
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. GoodOl'12gauge

Well im glad you all think there decent rifles. I pick it up here in a week or so. It was just so light and fit my shoulder just so that I couldnt not buy it. I just wish I could hunt with it here in RI.
  8. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Thanks for the encouragement Oldeyes. The barrel I mention above does have a muzzle brake (tamer) which I am told will limit muzzle "flip" but at the same time increase noise. First class hearing protection seems to be a necessity. Along with eye protection, a Pachmeyer grip and perhaps a football helmet

I don't reload 45-70, and have no intention of doing so given the low volume I anticipate using. As a result I am at the mercy of factory loads.

If you or anyone else knows of a source for "light load" 45-70 ammo to get me started, your help would be appreciated. If I survive, I'll keep you informed.
  9. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Is RI shotgun only?
  10. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I have an 1895GS w/ 3-9 x 40 bushnell dusk to dawn scope(mildot with BDC).

Best damn gun for a big bore I ever had. If you are going for big or dangerous game, winchester has developed an excellent line of ammo for your specific need.

I used to have a Browning 1885 falling block(sold it...stupid.) I actually like the Marlin better for its follow up capability, lightweight and compactness and super manageable recoil.

I also duracoated all the shiny parts in black so it looks like a G. The ported barrel is the best though. At about 125 yds shooting at golfballs, the recoil is so sweet you can watch the impact through the scope!
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If you shoot in RI, you will probably hit someone in Connecticut or Massachusetts.:D

I lived in Warwick and North Kingstown for 5 years while stationed at the Reserve Center in Cranston.
  12. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

If you stick with the factory loads (like Remington) or some of the cowboy action loads that are listed on the box as being for all .45/70's, you are getting probably the lightest factory load possible. Years ago a friend let me shoot his H&R .45/70 break action single shot. He suggested the 405 grain cartridge listed on the box for use in "all rifles". I suspected that he was trying to get over me as neophyte, so in my shoulder's defense I chose the 300 grain "not for all rifles" cartridge. Big mistake. The 405 grain cartridge is a pretty mild shoot and not objectionably loud in the ported Contender Hunter.
  13. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Thanks for your advice, Oldeyes. I had not given thought to the "all" aspect. It makes sense that manufacturers would de-tune loads for older guns.
  14. GoodOl'12gauge

Yes in RI there is only bow muzzleloader and shotgun, but if its coon season people can go shoot up in the air at coons with 22 mags and thats ok, oh and we cant use .410's, buckshot out of a .20 gauge,and the grander of these stupid rules is you can only shoot coyotes with birdshot no slugs or buckshot. But outside of deer season you can use a rifle no larger than .229 caliber for coyotes and other predators.
  15. lway45

lway45 Member

Got my Marlin 1895G Guide Gun in .45/70 today Feb. 20 2012. Mine is not a piece of junk! No slipshod workmanship, no marred screw heads, and absolutely no areas filled with wood filler. Right out of the box at 100 yards it's right on the steel plates. I am pleased with it and plan to knock plenty of wild pigs sideways with it.
  16. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I owned one for a couple years and didn't care for it. I had trouble getting decent accuracy out of it and it wasn't fun to shoot often because of the recoil. I think it didn't work for me cause of its small sized frame. Larger framed rifles feel better in my hands. I think it's a good gun but just wasn't a good fit for me.
  17. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I bought a NEF 243 to use to help teach young people hunt. I had a problem with it and sent it bacjk to the factory. While i was at it I ordered another barrel a 45/70. I like to use Leverlution ammo because I feel it gives me a little added accuracy. The gun is a joy to shoot and the only time I wentBbear hunting in Canada I took that rifle because of all the rules about guns, I did not want to lose an expensive gun. I am rambling again but I made a 1 shot kill on a cinnamon phase bear at about 40 yards. He only fell down. I was happy with the performance.
  18. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Mine is not ported but does have the Limbsaver pad on it. I shoot the Remington 405 GR load and it kicks less than my son's 30-30. That Limbsaver is a shoulder saver. I also have one on my 300 Win Mag and can shoot it all day. I love the Marlin GG because it is easy to swing, is potent and in my experience pretty accurate up to 100 YDS. I am sure even further but 100 is what I am sighted in at.
    It is my favorite weapon.

Neverhome
  19. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I took mine out yesterday and we had a blast. It was the first time shooting it, we had Federal Power-Shok 300 gram. It wasn't that bad of a kick, my 14 year old son put about 20 rounds thru it and he weighs 155 lbs. Not exactly a Saturday plinker, but, not as much kick as my .300 Weatherby mag.
  20. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    I WILL NOT TELL MY POWDER CHARGE BUT I KEEP MINE Close TO 458 WIN MAG VELOCITIES.I DONT GET TOO MANY PEEOPLE ASK TO SHOOT MY GUN. OLD SEMPERFI