Marlin .22, anyone know this model?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by fuzebox40, May 10, 2012.

1. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Hey folks, I picked up this Marlin that has a really stiff action which I intend to do the full on cleaning and a new main spring for starters. I'm not previously familiar with this model and now that I've looked it over closely I still can't find a model number.
    There is lettering on the top and left side of the barrel which show in the pictures. Only other markings are the word "safe" next to the safety. Of course I've pulled the steel from the stock to inspect for the hidden. So is it still hiding or does it simply not bear a model mark and ultimately... what is it?
    Also what is "Smokeless Greased"?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Big Schrek (sp?) will know...
    sorry about the spelling but he his very wise about Marlins.
  3. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I'd like to get some comments on this too. The barrel and receiver fit the stock like a glove but the trigger is too long for the guard. My first thought was that the guard was changed out so I checked to see if the screw holes lined up, which they do perfectly. What are the chances a different guard will fit the shape and line up perfecto? It's even less likely that a trigger would have been replaced with one longer than it's original.

But again it seems like the steel was made for this stock. The only thing that might say otherwise is this dark area behind the receiver. I have seen weapons show some of this but not to this extent. Too large of an area to leave unfinnished, wouldn't you agree?

I can only sumize that though it fits well it can't be the original stock.

Attached Files:

4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

22 Rimfire is one of the oldest metallic cartridges, dating back to the 22 Short that Smith & Wesson introduced for its first revolvers in the 1850's. For many years it was loaded with black powder, and for years after that with something called "semi-smokeless".

Although the amount of smoke they made was not an issue, these rounds also produced too much fouling to function properly in a semi-automatic gun. That is why Remington and Winchester both designed special, different 22 Automatic cartridges when they introduced their first semi-auto 22 rifles; it is also why John Browning designed the 25 ACP cartridge for his first vest-pocket sized pistol. That was around 1905.

I think in the 1920's, fully smokeless 22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle ammuntion became available. This made guns like the Colt 22 Woodsman practical, and it made it possible to make semi-auto rifles as well.

This is why your rifle specifies 22 Long Rifle Smokeless; it was apparently made at a time when 22 semi-smokeless might still be encountered, and it would not function well with that. Because companies tended to use roll stamps until they wore out, your gun might have been made as late as 1960 or so; I'm afraid I don't know anything about it specifically.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

looks like a marlin 60 to me but i am sure i'm wrong
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Model 60 has a tubular magazine....
  7. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

model 780? cant find a picture to compare though
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Thanks Lanrezak, that answers one of my questions anyway and I appreciate the full explanation too. I imagine the word "Greased" then simply adds to their discription, though unnecessary, unless that was the nomenclature at the time.
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

780 as a "maybe" gives me something look for at the least! Thanks, and Numnuts might have an exploded view of one. Gonna look now.
  10. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

11. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Ok, yeah I'll check that out too. I just looked at the 780, 880 and one other that were all bolt actions. Then I looked at a 50, it didn't show the whole gun, just some parts but it looked like a possibility.
  12. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

fuzebox40. I don't really know anything about the "Greased" part. I thought all 22 ammo was always "outside lubricated". Nowadays that means the bullet is coated with some kind of wax, but I think something more like grease was used in the past. I don't know why Marlin would feel they had to specify that.
  13. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

yeah, I seen the ball for the action and ran with it. sorry. I had found a model/make marlin history page that had all their guns broke into classes by action, feed, and ammo type. narrowed it to one in the bolt section. quite a few for the semiauto. the lr only will be the key i think. trying to find that had page again and cant though......

ok last help I got. scroll down to see also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_60
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  14. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

Looks like a 795. Or maybe the forerunner of it? Thats my guess anyway.
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Well I think I found the explode view of the action at Num. gun parts corp. On their list it's an "A1". There are 3 variants of A1, I think the others are A1C and A1DL, all seem to be sharing this same parts breakdown.
    Oh and I don't think I'll be looking up the year because there's no sl. no. that I can find.
  16. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

It's actually a completely different monster inside and out from the 60's, 795's and their prerunners. Thanks though.:)
  17. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

18. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

here ya go. The fact that you mentioned there is no model number or serial number on your rifle makes me wonder if you might have a Marlin Model A1 .22 semi-auto. Does your rifle have some stamping on the left side of the barrel below the rear sight: .22 LONG RIFLE ONLY-SMOKELESS GREASED If so it is the Marlin A1,as this is the only Marlin model that had this stamping. As far as a clip you can use a clip for a Marlin Model 80,25 etc. "Old Style" clip with some minor modifications to the clip.

The Model A1 was an improved version of the Model 50, manufactured from 1936-40.* The Model A1 fired from a closed bolt, and used a 24-inch barrel.* The safety catch was moved to rear of the tubular receiver.* The original Model A1s used a stamped steel trigger and trigger guard, and used only a spring-leaf and elevator-type rear sight and a hooded bead front sight.
    The Model A1 was modified in 1941, though production stopped near the end of 1941 (as Marlin was primarily making weapons for the US military during World War 2), and did not pick up again until late 1945 and continuing until late 1946.* Modifications included moving the safety again – it was now a radial safety on the right rear side of the receiver.* The trigger guard of this modified version was made of plastic, and the stock was re-shaped, with a deeper pistol grip wrist and a rounded fore-end.* Other variants included the Model A1E (built from 1936-41 and 1945-46), with a simple adjustable aperture rear sight; the Model A1E (built in 1941 and from 1945-46), with a different stock that had a fluted comb and a beavertail fore-end, as well as the aperture rear sight; and the A1DL, which had both an aperture rear sight and a target-type peep sight, as well as sling swivels fitted as standard. All of these variants of the Model A1 are identical to the standard Model A1 for game purposes.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  19. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

The Model 50 is an open bolt .22 and Marlin's first attempt at a semi auto .22. It's also the only mag fed Marlin you can't find a replacement mag for.:mad:
    It was only made a couple of years, and the early model like mine had no extractor, the next version had a manual extractor on the front right side of the receiver.
    The A1 versions were all closed bolt. Here's some pics of a Model 50 open bolt:
    http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2009/11/marlin-50.html
    http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2009/11/still-more-marlin-50.html
    http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2009/11/more-marlin-50-pix.html
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  20. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Yes it does. I didn't mention it cuz I cought a good picture of it above.

REPEATER mentioned a mag that can be modified?
    I'm a little confused as to what the manual extractor is about. It doesn't auto extract?